Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with window switches BAD....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 10, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal; last summer my passenger window stopped working...I never felt like messing with it until the 78 degree weathered rolled around today...I hooked up the multimeter and there is power getting to the switch via the pink wire...but when I unhook the plug from the window motor, there is nothing in the up direction...so I think "cool just need a new switch" so I run down to GM get a new switch, hook it up and still nothing... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It does work in the up direction (the voltage will show in the "up" wire to the window motor...

Well, I now suspet the drivers window switch...a tan wire and a blue/white stripe wire come from the drivers switch to the pass. switch...The tan wire (at the pass swith) shows voltage change when the drivers switch is pushed DOWN...but the blue/white stripe wire has NO voltage change when the drivers swithc is pressed up or down...

and another thing to note, the pass. window will go down just fine IF I ground the blue/wite stripe wire on a bolt...

So my thinking leads me to believe that there is something messed up in the drivers switch or the wire blue.white wire is cut somewhere...

Wht do you guys think? Thanks for the help...
    It is dark out now and I can't pull the drivers door panel to check out that switch...

Thnaks for any help...

Chris

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

repling so I can get emails, having similar problem. Wont go down, hit the switch the volt gauge drops like a huge drain on the battery but the window stays up. In the very near future I have new door harnesses (to replace the ones that got cut for the relays on the remote door locks that dont work now), new wheather stripping, switches and window motors. Just have to DO IT /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Little update on mine, may 10th, pulled the drivers door panel off to find both wires on the drivers switch for the window broken off. Go to the garage grab the switch from the extra door panel and a hand full of sodder-less (sp?) connectors and change out the end (the big plastic section that clips onto the switch). Grab the test light, power in all directions but the window still does not go up and down. Removed the four bolts holding the regulator and slide the arms out the tracks (dont forget to tape the window to the top rail or it will open real fast, permanatly). disconnected the wires pushed the harness out of the way and pulled the regulator. There are three bolts holding a mount/spacer to the window motor. Drilled and tapped the spacer of the motor and pop rivited it to the new motor, new motor bolts back to regulator, regulator sides back into door and glass slides back in and reconnect/adjust the rails.
    I pulled the glass after the regulator was out to clean and I replaced all the weather stripping. It really helps when you have someone to help out, even though we had four hands in or on the door it still took a solid five hours with the wiring and weather striping. I suspect the passengers side will go quicker. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So far no problems with the drivers window going up and down with the new weather stripping. Now my passengers side window stopped so I get to do it one day this week! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Updated, a month later /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Read this thread for a description of how the windows work (at least on the 82? and newer). It might help you make sense of it...