Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with windshield installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Mar 31, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a new windshield in the truck with a new gasket with the locking bead ... and broke the windshield.

I know I've done this several times before without problems. The old windshield with the old gasket came out without a hitch, one person giving it a little push and out it popped.

I'm thinking the new gasket might be tighter? It was a 2 person job and 45 min. later with about 3" of the gasket to get over the windshield and it broke.

Any suggestions? Soak the gasket in a tub of hot water before installing it? Toss it in the dryer to heat and expand it? Admit failure and call a pro ... who will probably scratch my new paint job?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Definitely get the new gasket pliable. Then when you get it ON, let it cool down before going any further with the install. Once its cold, install window :thumb:

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

But if I wait until it's cold to install the glass, won't I have the same problem?

Eric M.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Windshields! I'd just have a bonded & insured glass shop do it, but that's me.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I like to try and do as much as I can, that's part of the fun and challenge. But, I think I'm going to bring a pro in for this. I called a few shops and found a guy who said the after market gasket might be too tight or the after market windshield may have been to large. He's coming out with glass from a company he trusts and will bring a new gasket also incase the one I got from LMC is too tight. The other windshields I did just dropped in, I think something is off here.

I'll watch how he does it and bleed him of all his knowledge! Get his suppliers names and check out his tools and probably never see him again!

I'll post up what happens ... if anyone cares. I don't think I'll be setting any "view" records with this thread.

Eric M.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you soap it up?

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yep,

Did it up with WD 40.

I got that Lokar shifter yesterday. it looks nice. It's gonna be a little while until I can install it, but, I think it's gonna fit real good where the 4 speed shifter was.

Thanks,

Eric M.

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Definitely sounds like something is off, especially if you've done this a few times before. The windshield should drop into place easily and the whole install only takes half an hour tops.

Though I don't think this is the problem solver in this situation in the future a big pot of boiling water works well, or an asphalt driveway in the sun.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool... That seems like really quick delivery! Which model did you end up with?

Make sure ya post up on the install... :D

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be the gasket's fault!...

My older brother used a "new" rubber gasket on his '60 VW Beetle he's restoring,and it fit rather poorly..and he broke the windsheild trying to put it in!..he was pissed,and ended up having a pro do it from a glass shop ,but in his own garage instead of the glass shop..the "pro" broke ANOTHER windsheild!..:doah:

the "pro" had to "eat" the windsheild he broke,and it was all he could do just to get the THIRD windshield in without it breaking!..said he NEVER had one so tough,and blamed the cheap quality "Made in China" gasket my brother bought from a VW specialty place (much like LMC for Chevy's)..the gasket ended up being about 1/2" short,leaving a big gap between the ends,and had to use a ton of black sealer to keep it from leaking.:mad:

The chrome strip that pushes into the gasket didn't fit right either,and it mucked up the strip pretty badly..if he ever does another windsheild,he's going to buy the plain black rubber one without the chrome insert strip..and buy a genuine VW one,IF he can get it..but he got so discouraged after spending 500 bucks on windshields, and having the guy do it for him,he's putting the car up for sale!..that gasket was not the ONLY cheap POS "restoration" part he's had troubles with too..now the door panels are being a PITA,they dont fit for squat!..:crazy:

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Gotta agree full heartedly there. I had the same problems with my '63 VW Bus. Anytime I can I now always spend the money on name brand stuff. Especially if I'm buying from a catalogue or online. NOS stuff is out there you just have to search and in some case pay large.

12. diesel4me

a BUS?? !

I had a 1963 VW "BUS" too!..a red under white two tone..it was a factory camper with crank out jalousie windows,it had paneling and a fold out bed,a porta-potty under one of the seats,and it was the coolest thing I think I've owned yet!..not very speedy, or good at climbing steep hills quickly though..it had a 1500cc motor,my uncle sold it to me when I was 15 for ONE dollar,after he'd driven it to CA and AK TWICE!..

I had to use a bunjy cord to hold it in 4th gear on the highway,or it would pop out of gear..must have worn 4th's synchros right out of it!...I had some VERY good times in that "Khombi"(especially at the drive-in movies!:D )..wish I still had it now,it would be worth a mint I bet..:doah: ..they are extinct here now,very seldom do I ever see one..:crazy:

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

LOL the fourth gear syndrome! I got lucky and have a 1600cc that was an option in '63. I've had it across the country and back too though it isn't set up as a camper.

Sharona In The Bus.JPG

14. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

It was the gasket from LMC ... too small. The Pro put a new gasket in and dropped the windshield in place, we didn't even have to work the glass into the gasket.

Some of LMCs stuff is great and some isn't. It just sucks that this time it cost me an additional $250.

Eric M.

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yah...the LMC gaskets suck...

There are several aftermarket companies that make crappy gaskets.
    When I did glass for a living, I had a steel trashcan with a hole for a heat gun. I'd drop the gasket in the can, then heat it up with heat gun, then stretch'm.

Also..I'd microwave them for a couple seconds too.

It's too bad you had to spend so much cash.

16. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I tried to get the name of his local supplier since the gasket he brought fit great ... but, he wouldn't give it up!

He did have a nice too made out of plastic for working in the glass. He said it wes from Equalizer. Any idea where i could get that?

Thanks,

Eric M.

17. diesel4me

Sweet !!...

That is NICE!..I'm an old hippie at heart,and spent a lot of time cruising around in my "Transporter"!..mine spent as much time off-road as it did on the street,just as my 63 Beetle did..both were very capeable off road,and I suprised a few friends with 4x4's when I made it up hills,and to remote camping sites without getting stuck..the Transporters gear reduction boxes on the axles made for great ground clearance,and the first gear ratio was rivalled only by the SM465!..

Man..talk about memories!..if yours was red on the bottom,and had only the crank out jalousie windows,a few rusted spots,and sheet metal "air scoops" over the engine cooling louvers,it would look just like the one I had..I can almost smell my friends sisters perfume!!:wink1: :D ..those were the days..:crazy:

18. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those soft plastic glass tools are nice. You should have asked for his...
    I bet they have a bag of them back at the shop.

19. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I found Equalizer online and purchased a set from them. $20 for 4.

Eric M.

20. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

The best thing about my bus are the smiles and stories that people share with me! Glad to bring out a couple more!