Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with wiring a volt meter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by awsomeforce, Nov 19, 2006.

1. awsomeforce

awsomeforce Registered Member

i hooked up a oil pressure guage and a water temp guage but i dont know how to wire the volt meter guage. the back of the guage says battery on one side and alternator on the other side. i ran both wires into the engine bay. i read one article that said to run a wire to the ignition on the fuse pannel and to run the other wire to an engine ground. please let me know how to wire this guage.

thanks,
    scott

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Basically all you are doing is taking a "HOT" wire and cutting it in half and then hooking each end to a terminal. This is the easiest way to explain it. It would be best if you choose a wire that is only "HOT" when the ignition switch is in the on position so that the gauge only reads voltage when the key is in the on position.

3. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

if on wire says battery and one says alternator isnt that really an ampmeter, not a volt gauge, totally different animal, my opinion volt gauge keep, ampmeter throw as far away as possible LoL