Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, Jun 24, 2004.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I cross threaded the pinion gear threads while replacing my pinion bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My question is can I use another used pinion gear and the original ring gear? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Or should I replace both of them?

thanks
    ~jason

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

ring and pinions come in a set, machined together and no two are exactly alike. You could probably run one for a while till one or the other gets eaten up, sorry but your probably gonna have to splurge for a whole new set.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could try a thread file and try and straighten them out.

im not sure if what said above was correct about being a match set, but you would need one from the same gear ratio to make work correctly.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Go get the right size die and fix it. The first time i set up gears on a 10 Bolt i got pissed and decided to remove the new pinion from the housing with my BFH. Needless to say i royally screwed the threads up. The die fixed it up real quick....but keep in mind the threads i ruined were only on the end of the pinoin and not down the neck where the strength is a real concern.

5. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Unfortunatly the threads are toast. about 1/2" is completely gone. My dad and I figured somthing was wrong when we had to put well over 400ft/lbs to get it to turn. Im guessing we had 800-1000ft/lbs. I had the nut threaded on a good 5 rotations....I guess I learned the hard way. Only thing I can think of if it wasnt cross threaded is I must have hit it with the sledge to hard or the socket I used to cover the threads was hitting them to cause it to dork up. This was my first time setting a pinion preload. I weight ~280 and was practly hanging off the end of my hilift handle connected to a 3/4" breaker bar and it wouldnt budge /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif My dad said it was lack of experiance on my part. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

So now I have to hit the junk yard tomorrow after work. Junk yards cheer me up for some reason. Good thinking time /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif