Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Jun 26, 2004.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I got a 77 Chevy k-10 full timer. This morning my front drive line decides to start acting up. I pull the front shaft to find the double knuckle thing messed up. I figured the U-joints were comming out,and got new ones,but when I pulled the D-line,it's the double knuckle thing it's self is wore slap out. And nobody around here sales any replacement parts to fix it.I have several other drive lines, but mine has a "flange"? type mount, and all the other ones I had pulled and saved take the u-bolt type mounts. My question is this: Since I can't find anything to fix this with, could I take one of the u-bolt yokes off one of these other 203's and put it on my 203? Basically get rid of the flange type mount and put on a u-bolt type set up? Is this advisable or am I going to have to spend $200.+ at advance for a complete new drive line? Thanks, and info helpful at this point, as this is my DD.Also can I drive this thing being it's a full timer with no front D-line for a while? I was told that the full timer's had to have both D-lines in in order to work,cause it pulls in both when in 2 wd.? Also, This thing is lifted 4in. Could this have caused the Saginaw joint to go out? Angle don't look bad to me, but I might be wrong.Is there a way to find the angle and determine if it's at a bad angle or not?

Thanks,

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the rebuild kits for the ball and seat should be a common carried part (at least it is here). if anything it should be a day away.

im not sure on the yoke swapping, i know it is not possible to do on a NP205 (part time case) i dont know the NP203 (full timer) case very well.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I put the front yoke from a 203 case onto the 205 in my plow truck(74 GMC)to allow the driveshaft I had from a 69 K10 fit(it was the perfect length)--it worked fine--but its a pain to put the 4 bolts in near the crossmember end of the shaft to the front yoke--I think the 4 bolt round flange ones are a better,easier to work on design.

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have drove trucks with the 203 and only the rear shaft. You have to pull your t-case shifter back to the hi loc position. I've heard that this is hard on it, but I have never had any problems - just don't mash the throttle until you get your front shaft in. A 4" lift doesn't put the driveshaft at too much angle, it's just that with the 203 the shaft is spinning all of the time which wears it out faster than a part time case would. Front axle joints seem to wear faster also.

5. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Thanks,
    Hadn't had much luck locating a decent used shaft. I guess it would be better to buy a new one..........