Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Sep 18, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i need to know how to hot wire a 1976 cutlass my buddy lost his keys and is fifty miles from home what can i do

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure if the columns are the same as ours, but to not destroy it, you have to pull the wheel and the lock plate...have to get the pin out of the way that locks the column in one place. Either that or bust the column on the drivers side opposite the key and worry about trying to replace it later. Hopefully its not metal, the truck column ones are plastic.

After that, run the coil wire on the distributor to 12 volts, and jump the terminals on the back of the starter until it catches. If thats on Olds motor, not sure you can do that, the single exhaust crossover piece is probably hiding the starter, as is the heat shield. Might be able to get something in there to jump it though.

More work than getting a key made I guess.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Crawl under the car with a screwdriver and jumpt the terminals on the starter. You may need to pump the gas a couple times first depending on how well the car normally starts. Or you can use one of the remote start switches but it does the same thing. Locked my keys in the trunk of my car at the mall once on a 110 degree day and had my 6 month old son with me so I got creative really fast.