Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by fordeater, Aug 5, 2005.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just swapped in a sm465/205 into my 83 gmc pickup. I used a hydro setup with brand new clutch/pressure plate, brand new clutch fork, new throwout bearing, new slave cylinder, and reused the master cylinder. I have the clutch fully bled, and it seems to be working fine, but when i have it running and try to put it in gear, it won't go. It is like the clutch isn't engaging. I've got the tranny hump out, and i sit there and watch as i'm pushing the clutch pedal and everything seems to function properly. I don't know what to do. I thought it was the clutch fork, and then the slave cylinder. Now i'm thinking the ball pivot stud. I don't know. I need help.

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Did by chance the clutch disc get put in backwards? I've done all kinds of clutches and never goofed, then one time last year I wasn't paying attention and was in a hurry and put a disc in backwards.

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I second that one Allan.

4. fordeater

no, i had put it in backwards when i first put it in. I realized it before too long and corrected it. Or maybe i had it the right way and then flipped it. Dangit, now i have to pull the tranny back out and see if i'm a total idiot

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

When I replaced all the hydro clutch parts in my '85 a couple years ago, I sat there and bled everything many times and still couldn't get the clutch to engage. And I remember finding it to be some simple error on my part. I just can't remember what it was exactly now. For some reason I seem to remember having the little actuator rod (pushrod that pushes the fork) in backwards, and I think I swapped ends and then it worked normal. It was something like that which wasn't allowing full engagement. But if you can see it pushing the fork all the way, and it doesn't work still, and theres no major sort of noises, it has to be the disc being backwards.

6. fordeater

nope, disc is on the right way. I pulled the ball stud off and i think that is the problem. It is pretty chewed up, and i think because of it being messed up, the slave is working, and the clutch fork is working, but because the ball stud is messed up its not pivoting like its supposed to. Of course the one for my mechanical bellhousing and my hydro bellhousing are different. So, now i get to try to track one down.

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

is the t-case in neutral? ive done this before myself :doah:

8. fordeater

well, i replaced the clutch fork pivot ball stud, yet ANOTHER part i had to purchase from the stealership. The old part was so worn out it was probably a quarter of an inch shorter then the new one. I got everything buttoned up yesterday and it works. I just need to bleed the slave some more now.