Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walrus101, May 20, 2000.

1. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

i am putting the thing back together finally. i am putting my rocker arms on and my manual says to tighten to 65 in. pounds which if i calculate right is 5.3 ft pounds. is this right? i thought that they would need to be a little tighter.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

What rockers do you have and what manual is that? With stock rockers, you want to tighten the valve thats closed while the other is open. There's also a certain sequence you can do that's in the manual. Anyway, you should tighten the rocker arm until the lash on the pushrod is taken out then tighten 1/2-3/4 of a turn. I usually twist my pushrods with a little oil on my fingers. When the pushrod stops turning I then tighten 3/4 of a turn. Others have their own method of doing this but this works for me.

Shawn
    87 K5

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

i am pretty sure it is all stock. the engine does not show the wear that a 175,000 mi. motor should show. it has been rebuilt or replaced a little while ago. all the valve seats and seals were good. the cylinder walls were excellent, and the bottom end to was great. there was no feelable ring in the wall,bout an inch down.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well the way I've done this and it's worked every time. Rotate the motor and tighen down on the nuts so there is no slop while the valve is shut. Twisting the push rods ensures you they are a little snug. Get them all snug. You may want to go to a junk yard and get a valve cover and cut some holes out. This is to keep the mess down. I just use some card board laying around and this does fine. Well start the motor it will run like crap b/c you probably didn't adjust them close enough. just loosen each one till it ticks then tighten them down till they are quiet do this twice and you should be good as gold......

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I do the same thing as dumbfounded except I go a half turn past when the lifter is quit.This is they way I was taught by all my teachers and mechanic friends.Brady