Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badbowtie, Oct 17, 2001.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Registered Member

I bought my '72 blazer (third blazer, first 1st gen) a few months ago and it came with a bunch of gaskets. I put in everything except for these "rain deflectors". the only thing I've found them in is the LMC catalog and I can't figure out exactly how the go between the door, the windshield pillar, and the top. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The drip rail deflectors are held in by four screws. Two of the screws go into holes in the A-pillar, two go into holes in the top (under the drip rail).

3. badbowtie

So everytime you take off the top you have to unscrew this deflector? That sounds like a pain but how often will I really have the top off? Thanks for your help.

Mike
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by badbowtie on 10/18/01 08:55 AM.</FONT></P>

4. Steve_Chin

Yup. You have to remove both drip rail deflectors prior to removing the top. It's not all that hard, since they're held in by four (each) philips head sheetmetal screws.

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Were the drip rail deflectors original equipment? I never had them before on my '71 and I have no existing holes to install the new ones I have now. I thought I'd wait to see if I really need them, in that I never really had a leak problem around the vent windows. (the splash came up through the floor!)

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yours never leaked around the vent window? I would stay dryer with the top off than on.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

7. frito

frito Registered Member

yeah for real mine drips like mad in the rain its no wonder the rocker panels get rusted out

8. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I drove mine one day w/out the top and it started to rain on my way home. I stayed drier I think than with the top on!(when I was moving of course) But then again what door/window seals???

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

9. Steve_Chin

LOL! Even with the drip rail deflectors, relatively new window seals, etc., my Blazer still drips occasionally from the A-pillars. Lousy seal design and even poorer execution. If the doors are shut just-so, the thing doesn't leak.

10. badbowtie

Well, so far I have no leaks. I bought my truck a couple of months ago. When I picked it up I got a clothes basket full of extra parts and gaskets and had to put the top on it out of the chicken coop! But got a deal on it. rebuilt motor trans and t-case and new paint and fresh body with an extra set of sliding windows to replace the solid ones in it. All for $3500