Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73 K5 Blazer, Mar 21, 2002.

1. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that has a forerunner that is having starting problems. It starts fine when cold but after it has warmed up it will not start. The battery and starter are new. It will Jump start. Battery is reading 12.3 right now and drops to 11.3 when trying to start. I know this is a little of topic but I know someone can help me out.

2. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

What exactly do you mean it will not start?
    Will the engine crank?

3. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

The engine will not turn over. Ther is a click comming form under the dash and under the fule injection.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Have him check the timing, this will happen sometimes if it is too high.

5. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well my guess is that you have a starter solenoid that's overheating -- a common problem on chevy's. Solenoids are very sensitive to heat and since they're located at the bottom of the engine, the exhuast manifold heat frys them frequently. The clicking is likely the ignition coil or possibly the injectors? When I had this problem I replaced my solenoid and installed a heat shield around it. Haven't had the problem since.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It could also be a bunch of bad connections. Check all the major wire (0-4 size wire) from battery to solenoid to starter motor.

Good luck.