Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RELUCTANT, Aug 20, 2000.

1. RELUCTANT

RELUCTANT Registered Member

Anyone tell me why I could'nt scrap my rattling,heavy,piece-of-...well,you know what I mean...tailgate for a simple pickup style one with hinges and all and then have someone make me a lift-up rear window with gas shocks(like a pickup shell has)and live happily ever after???????????? If not,then I'll let you know how it turns out. ps...have hated (well almost) my Blazer for last 3 yrs and finally decided to try to make it liveable. any help appreciated!
    pps...best 2" lift? not too stiff.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if your not a weak guy then maybe there is a problem with your gate. My 90lb wife has no problem with the gate on her 79 other than she has to stand on the trailer hitch to reach the release. GM put a torsion bar on the gate to help lift it. Sounds like yours is missing. It ties into the frame horns behind the bumper and the goes into the gat by the hinge.
    As for the pickup gate. yes it can be done. They are the same width. just have to put the truck hinges in. Down side is it doesn't seal and may let exhaust fumes in the back of the truck.
    Click on the link to my page under my sig. You can see a K5 with a barn door style gate :). My gate was toast on my 75 and the place the hinges bolt in was also toast.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/