Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FastBanshee, Sep 6, 2002.

1. FastBanshee

FastBanshee Registered Member

Ok im almost ready to pull the engine from the engine bay. I have the hood removed and the front clip.(Fenders are still there) I also want to remove my tranny and transfer case. Will it be easy to remove it all as one unit with a engine hoist? My truck is lifted and sitting on 35" tires and my jack can not reach the tranny to drop it down. I thought about using the engine hoist in the door trick but I don't think I will be able to hoist it the ground. Any help would be great. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

when i pulled my tranny and t-case i just let the air out of my 37's and removed it as one unit regular old sears 3 ton jack worked for me but be careful it weighs a ton /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With no core support on I would say remove everything as one unit (out the front), if the core support is on the truck (I'm assuming it is if the front fenders are still on), then pull the motor out the top and the tranny and t-case out the bottom (may have to deflate/pull tires to get the vehicle low enough to get the jack high enough). Whichever way you do it, a spare set of hands or two makes a huge difference!

4. FastBanshee

The core support is removed. I left the fenders mounted to the fire wall. If I remove the engine and tranny as a combo package do I need to support the tranny/Tcase at all?

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When the motor, tranny, t-case are all bolted together (especially if any support rods are still attached), then they are strong enough to support one another (if you remove any bellhousing bolts etc., remember to put them back in before removing them together). I can't remember what kind of tranny, t-case you had, but remove tranny cooler lines (auto) and any shifters. Removing the headers/manifolds will also help. Be careful if you try using one of those engine levers. Most are designed to support the weight of a BB motor NOT the weight of a motor, t-case, tranny especially will that much leverage. You are better off using chain and having a buddy or two help guide things out (it's tricky sometimes, but can be done). Patience is the key to keep from breaking/hurting something or someone!

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

6. FastBanshee

How heavy is a Transfer case?(NP205) Here is my plan, Pull the engine leave the tranny and T-case. Then if the T-case is not to heavy have a friend in the cab with a rope thats tied to the T-case and have him lower it slowly to the ground. Sound like it will work? If I unbolt the trannys bell housing from the engine will it sperate and leave the torque converter on the tranny? Or do I need to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One thing is for sure. The flexplate bolts should come out. If the tranny is the slightest bit angled, but the converter is still bolted to teh flexplate, it will bind trying to pull it out. Besides, the converter will dump Dexron ALL over the ground when it comes free.