Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am having some problems. I had my starter and fuel pump go out on my truck. So I changed them both. The fuel pump the other day and the starter today. I got it to fire up and run, but now I am having problems that it didn't have before.

The truck will run and idle fine, but if I punch the throttle it stumbles BAD, or dies all together. But if I ease into the throttle VERY slowly it won't stumble and will rev without problem. What the hell is wrong now? It hasn't run for a week, and now it is finally running, but real shitty. Also, if I have the timing set real high (16+ BTDC) it stumbles bad when I open the throttle, but if I have it set normal (8 BTDC) it will stumble and die. WTF?

Spec. 350, w/Qjet, AC Delco fuel pump (replaced Wednesday)

I have checked for vacuum leaks and I can't find any. Please Help. Thank you

Harley

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You can always check the fuel pump for adequate output. Disconnect it from the carb and start the engine. It should come out of there out a 'good' rate. Yes, you are spilling gas so be careful, but yes this will work.
    Did you make sure to pack the fuel pump housing (on the side of the block) with lots of heavy grease? The fuel pump itself can burn out from poor lubrication is you don't. New fuel pumps cost like $12 at Autozone, if you did mess yours up.
    The starter won't be causing your problem.
    If all you have done detween then and now is replace your starter and fuel pump, then I would look at the fuel pump.
    Did you disconnect anything else when you did it? Or did you replace anything else?

I don't know if will make a big difference, but I use Teflon tape on the hard fittings as insurance.
    -- Mike

3. Hossbaby50

I was told to put grease into the cavity, and also told not to. So when I replaced it I poured 15W-40 motor oil into the cavity and on the pushrod assembly.

I didn't replace anything else when I did the fuel pump. Just the fuel pump.

Wouldn't the motor not run at higher RPM if the fuel pump was going out again? It only stumbles real bad off idle.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

did you twist or kink the line when you put it back on?

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have been told heavy grease and it works great for me.
    I think motor oil would be insufficient for a new fuel pump, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Your symptoms are odd. Did you get a new fuel filter? Maybe some dirt got inside the carb. That can easily cause the symptoms. I'd be inclined to try another fuel pump for like $12 rather than rebuild a qjet (eeek!)
    Maybe your qjet is due for a rebuild anyway, so good exscuse?
    -- Mike

6. Hossbaby50

Nope, no kinks in the fuel line that I am aware of. I was pretty careful not to.

I don't have a filter in the carb anymore, it is farther downstream. It is right outside the fuel tank. It is new (replaced 1 month ago) and it is see threw, so I can see it is not clogged.

Are there any good gas treatments that I can use to help break down any possible dirt in the carb?