Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Nov 24, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

What would cause my truck to suddenly develop a problem "dieseling" (sp?) right as I'm getting ready to go out of town for the Holiday the cranky winch starts reving/idaling really fast when in Park or neutral, usally a quick tap of the gas stops this but now it doesnt...when I shut it of it still tries to run and sputter...even back fired twice...last week I made the mistake of running low on gas in the low temps and just barely kept it above Empty all week...then before I left it started acting up...I figured maybe condensation...??? put some "HEET" in and its still doing it!!!???...could this problem be caused by condensation???? IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the edelbrock 600cfm manual chock on a 350 and mine dose this also but only once in a while i have looked at the timeing and gave it a full tune-up and no luck so i would like info on this also

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine did this when the idle was too fast. Maybe you could lower the idle and see if that works.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

4. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

But what would all of a sudden cause this problem???...ran fine till I gassed it up...???

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Here's some ideas for both of you guys hope it helps.
    Things that cause dieseling:Fuel too low of octane. Timing too far advanced. Carbon buildup on pistons and cyl heads. Lean fuel mixture.Vacume leaks.Bad idle enrichment mixture . Bad egr valve. or any combination of above.
    Fixes:
    Try running a tank or two of premium gas.
    Check timing.
    make sure smog controll junk is working properly.
    Or lean fuel mixture may be the problem. Running out of gas and running around on a nearly enpty tank may have clogged up your fuel filter or sucked some grit into the carb. Try a new fuel filter. And clean carb.

With the 600cfm carb, it may be in need of larger jets. The jets it came with may be too small and your fuel mixture may be too lean.
    To get rid of carbon in the combustion chamber. SLOWLY pour or spray a can carb cleaner or a pint or so of ATF down the throat of the carb WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING at high idle this will clean the cylinders.

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Regardless of what's causing it ... it's best to shut it off while in gear (provided it's automatic) or you could bend valves. At least do that until you figure out the problem.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't understand that. Why?

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Although all of the above could be true, I think you should start with the basics. The high idle sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Its easy to loose a hose (even under the truck at the trany if you have an automatic) Listen for a high pitch whistle or with it idleing take some starting fluid and VERY carefully spray it around the carb & hoses, ONLY A VERY LIGHT SPRAY! If there is a leak you will notice the rpm's increase when you find it. Don't catch yourself or your truck on fire. Do it when cool. Good luck and have a great trip.

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Ive got the thing going on it would quit after using high octane gas i thought it was something i was going to have to live with. then i told my guy at a speed shop he said he also had this going on then he put an idle stop silnoid on his ride and it stopped. I have yet to do this put after doing the good tune up bit it will be the next thing to try. The idle stop is one used by Holly an such maybe even oem.

GAS ON IT!