Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok im in school right now, went to get in my truck and leave for auto class at boces...and it wouldnt start. turn the ignition on, every thing comes on but the starter doesnt even so much as click. nothin at all. im guessing bad ground or starter issue, but its never done something like this befor, its always at least clicked or made some sound when it was the starter. was fine this mourning. any one got any ideas? i already missed all the buses to get there so im ganan miss the class for today, but thought i would get on hear and see if any of ya guys could give me some hints in the mean time so i can go fool with it since im ganna be here for half the day doing nothing /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

thanx guys!

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what is the voltage of your battery?

a couple of things that come to my mind are...

with the key in the ACCESSORY detent, your saying your blower motor, radio....etc turns on. now when you turn it to the START detent, does all that stuff turn off like it should? if the accessories do not shut off it could be the plastic box attached to your sterring colum with a small rod running into it, is out of adjustment. if all the accessories shut off like they should, you could have a neutral safety switch problem. you can bypass that by jumping the 10 gage yellow and purple wires under the dash, possibly also atttached to a box on the column.

you also may want to jump your starter solenoid to see if you are getting power down there.

good luck

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would have to vote for bad solenoid, or bad ignition switch, or loose cable or wire at solenoid or somewere along solenoid wire from switch to solenoid, if you have been having starter problems then it is probably time for new starter

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

bry.. take a check at the voltage in the battery first..
    then.. try pulling the shifter in to neutral to start it if the voltage is good..
    check connections at starter, make sure fusible link between battery and starter isnt damaged..

keep us posted..

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you have a hammer with you ??? Try tapping on the starter, then turn the key. Sometimes it works, and if you're in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have a hammer with you ??? Try tapping on the starter, then turn the key. Sometimes it works, and if you're in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or smack real good...(of course when the tapping doesnt work) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

7. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

this happened to me yesterday, in my case it was the positive battery cable. also check the fusable link by the firewall.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well ill be damned..i come back up to it after school...and it cranks over fine! SURE the damn thing has to not start RIGHT when i need it but then starts when i go home..POS /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif must have been a loose wire i have no clue..i dont get it..something must have happened to it while it was just plain sitting there..its been fine for the rest fo the day so far and ive restarted it about 5 times...i dunno what the deal is..between that and this pos carb running SO bad..im so ready to just take a sludge to the damn pos..sometimes i wonder why i dont just buy a newer truck like my friends tell me.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Confedneck

bry.. one of your friends had a good laugh about this, im sure.. or something.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

uhh well yea they did actually lol..of course there a bunch f reatrds who dont know [darn] about mechanics..i drive old trucks cause i can keep them going and usually enjoy it, although it does get mighty old like now, but a lot of them are the type of people that sees rust on a car and sees its older, and automaticly thinks its a pos..i cant stand people like that...not all my friends are like that though, i have some COOL freiends that are back yard mechanics and drive trucks, couple drive blazers /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so does any one have an idea wtf might have caused that!?

12. Confedneck

loose nut behind the wheel? broken connecting cross pin at the khanuter valve interseal??

but seriously, check the ignition switch for binding, and the connections to the starter.. etc..

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    so does any one have an idea wtf might have caused that!?

[/ QUOTE ]Was it hot when you tried to start it ??? Kinda sounds like heat soak.

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea i was just thinking the same thing. you have headers right?

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nope, i know what ur talking about, its happened to me on trail runs befor. but no, this time it was dead cold. and yes i have headers.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

mine just done this.. I thought it might be a connection or ground, I didn't have to go anywhere so I let it sit a couple days. Finally after it warmed up I went out to clean the battery termainals and tried to start it up before and it clicked, then clicked... Dad says just keep trying to start it. So about 18-20 tries later it fires right up. Shut it off, fires right back up, and the same thing again. I guess the terminals in the solenoid got corroded over. Its started up and ran fine the last couple days.

17. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

mine did the start again thing. it happened 2 times last week & then Sunday. Check the battery cables & terminals. I ran for a week between the not starting with no trouble & then it wouldn't crank again.

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..well sounds like thats the thing to do then. truck is down for now any way cause the carbs got to many problems, so when i put another carb on it ill fool with that.