Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need home improvement help.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

When measuring a door do you go by the width of the door or do you go by the inner or outer width of the door jam? I want to replace My front door with a solid one, don't much care for one with a window in it.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are looking at a pre-hung door, meaning the jambs along with the door, measure the old door and add roughly 1.5" to that to get your minimum rough opening size.
    Generally, for example, a 32" door, with jambs, will come out right at around 33.5" but you need to add another 1/2" to that to allow space for shimming to align the door. This so in case the studs are not true or square and shimming will allow the door to fit square.
    The top won't matter as you are not shimming the top. Just the sides.
    Now if you are just wanting to replace the door itself, measure it width and length wise and go find some door somewhere that is close in measurement to it. You can trim or cut it to exact fitment but only so much on hollow core doors. Try to find one real close to your specs.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

burn it!!!

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thanks Wes. So bottom line if the door is say 32" wide then it is just that. I just wanted to clarify the points of measurement.
    As for the other two asshats, thats just what I would expect from a deputy from the pan handle and a Home Depot employee.

6. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

need to go by your rough opening size in the wall

you may really need to use the sawzall

it depends

been there done this many times

youll need a good level and many shims and decide on your trim work what stuff you wanna use around it

good luck

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Open the door and measure it, side to side. A 32" door will measure between 31 1/2 to 31 3/4. Just get the same size door, and it shouldbe an easy swap. Pop the door off the hinges. Remove the trim from both sides of the door, and run a sawzall around the outside of the door jamb. Don't let the jamb fall and hit you in the head(it hurts). Pre-hung units are what you want-its a big pita to cut hinge pockets in the new door to match exactly what the existing jamb has. Use NON-expanding foam to seal up around the new door jamb. If you re-use the old trim, you should be done in 2 hours, easily.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah thanks Guy's I know how to hang a door/jamb. I was just unsure as to the points of measurment when you go to buy one. When I do do it Im gonna redo the whole thing so I have a good starting point for a storm door as well.

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Depending on how old the house is check the height also, Alot of older houses seem to have some wierd height doors. Also check the Masonary opening and compare that to the door you want to order, I know alot of guys that order the door without casing and then apply 5/4 or BMC after the door is in so they have some room to adjust.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

BURN IT!!!!!!

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Home improvement projects suck. I hate doing stuff like that. At least when you work on something with an engine you can have fun when you get it running. When you work on a door, window, etc. all you have is a new door, window. :doah:

Which reminds me I have to put in a new dishwasher after work. :rolleyes: