Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Idea how to get Stainless off lower Body-Aftermarket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stano, Nov 25, 2005.

1. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

Any body have any ideas on how to get this aftermarket stainless steel sheet off of the rockers of the K5.

I was going to pull and hope they would give away slowly, but they are on so tight I can not even barely get it started. I do not have to save them.

Would heat from a torch real easy help??

I don't know, may have to repaint the lower part..

Also want to take off the molding all the way around and leave off. I have not tried the molding but think it will come easier than the stainless.

http://groups.msn.com/Fangk5/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

thank you
    stano
    87 K5

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so thats the stainless tape right? hmm i dont think there is anyway with taking paint off from underneath that stuff. maybe a rasor knife? i duno

3. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

It is on tight. I think I might dent some of the body trying...

stano
    87 K5

4. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

for sure heat! heat gun would work best. hair dryer will help but they suck cause they shut off when they get too hot. maybe careful work with a propane torch could be best if you stay away from good paint. i know the double stick 3m type tape under trim will come off easy ( sort of) with a hair dryer or heat gun :D

5. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

First of all I don't like it on there and I think that it may hold water and rust...

And this is a not rusty truck....

stano
    87 K5

6. gman454

gman454 Registered Member

get a heat gun and heat up small sections at a time real good should peel right off. you might just have to clean up any left over glue. your local homedepot or auto body supply place will have one. should help with saving the paint to:pimp:

7. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

Heat Gun... I have one of those for PVC pipe... Yep that might work. Take my time and don't get in a hurry.. Thanks

stano
    87 K5

8. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

Go Slow

First.... NICE K5 !!!

Second: If you can determine who the manufacturer of the stainless steel pieces is, find the company's phone number, and give them a call. If anybody knows how to get them off your K5.... it will be the manufacturer.

If there is some type of "non-hardening" glue that is holding the stainless steel to the body metal, I suggest that you try a Hair Dryer as a heating tool to warm and soften the glue. This method of LOW HEAT, applied slowly, would be the least likely to cause any damage to the paint underneath or warp the body sheet metal. Also a Hair Dryer is not likely to be a fire risk like the open flame of a torch.

If the glue that is holding the stainless steel to the body has "hardened" or does not "soften" with heat applied, then a chemical "release agent" may be required to loosen the glue.

Go to a local Automobile Paint and Body Shop and ask them for advice. They may have encountered this problem before. Also, they may have a chemical that won't harm your paint AND disolve the glue.

One last thing.... my experience has been that you may need to call several Auto Paint Supply Stores before you find an answer. If you don't get an answer try some Auto Body Repair Shops. Good Luck !!!

9. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Been there, done that. Use a heat gun, not a hair dryer, as you pull off the pieces. Then use laquer thinner to clean up any left overs. 3M also makes a wheel specifically for removing glue. Its not too abrasive that it scratches the paint, but enough so that it removes the glue.