Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need idea to remove top with one person

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82whitek5blazer, Apr 14, 2003.

1. 82whitek5blazer

82whitek5blazer Registered Member

Need ideas to get the top off by myself, (wife not much help!)

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'll see about snappin' some pics of my setup. I basically made a frame from some lumber I found at a construction site(J/K), which I pull the K5 underneath and slide two 2x6's under the top and drive off. It takes me about 30 mintues from start to finish by my self...

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

4. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

If you don't give a crap about the paint on the top of your side rails you can follow these steps. (It's how I use to mine off.)
    Take out all the bolts.
    Get under the top and push up on the front and slide it back a few inches. (This gets it off the seal. Remember to lift it high enough to get it off the pins in the rear.) Next make sure your tail gate is shut, go behind the truck, grab the rear of the top and pull it back. When you've got it far enough let the rear down on the ground, grab the front and flip it upside down on the ground. Instalation is reverse.
    Disclaimer: This is a great way to crack the top, scar up the sides of the truck (If you let it slip off the rails), and break off the pins.
    If you think that's a bad way to get the top off, you should have seen last week when I tried to use the engine lift. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    God I need a soft top.
    Actually now I've got a cheap boat winch mounted to the wall of my garage with pulleys in the ceiling. I have two 2x4's with eyebolts that go under the top. I crank it up a little and drive out from under it.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If your tailgate is in good sturdy shape, just undo all the bolts, take the back seat out, get in the back, and push up on the top with your back and walk out. Might want to put some kind of step down so you don't have to jump from the tailgate to the ground. That's what my Dad used to do with his '75 when new. Can't do it with mine because the tailgate would fall off /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, but if it's sturdy that should work fine, as long as you can lift that much weight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, its purdy easy to do yourself if you have a garage. I used my parents last time I did it solo. Basically i put 4 eye bolts into big beams in the ceiling, then unbolted the top and got inside the bed. Using the old back-on-the-underside-of-the-top-leg-press move you lift it up and get 2x4s or 2x6s under the top running side to side.... these also have eyebolts in them. From here its easy, using a chain + hooks you move each corner up in turn... lift it 4-6" at a time on each corner and just go around and around until its up high enuff to drive out from under safely. then u move it higher and higher until its up by the ceiling and out of the way for storage.

prolly took an hour the 1st time i did it... but the top is in mint condition, it stores up and out of the way... and it was a safe technique.

j

7. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I take mine to school and pull in to the shop and ask the kids to take it over and I sit back and watch. Ain't it great to be a teacher.

8. georgiared84

I'll have to get my second graders to give it a try. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

call your neighbor and offer him a beer to help

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

here's what i did:
    unbolted it
    opened tail gate
    put down two 2x10 from tailgate to ground
    got under lifted top on hand (SHOULDER PRESS) and slowly and carefully walked down, then squatted it back down

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

unbolt it, lift it off the seal and the rear pins,

get in, start the truck, go in reverse, then slam on the brakes, if it still stuck on there, put it in drive and punch it, that should work.

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

That's how I do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

use a saws-all to cut it into smaller, easier to carry pieces. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is unbolt it, get in and start it up. Drive away as fast as you can and the top should just fall down, kinda like the table cloth trick. Probably will not damage it too much

15. ChevyTrucker

ChevyTrucker Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

This thread has gone to hell /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

"
    use a saws-all to cut it into smaller, easier to carry pieces."

Now thats using the old noodle. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Some of you guys sure do make something so simple very difficult. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some of you ain't got 'nough hillbilly in you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go find four child seat belts. Also known as lap belts. Just about any car or truck has at least one in them. A lot of 80s cars had two in the back seat and one in the middle of the front seat. Preferably find four of the same length.

Bolt the latch half to the rafters and have them spaced about 12" wider than your Blazer. Space them so they are about a foot from the ends of the top. In other words, if you have 24" OC rafters leave a rafter between them.

Buy yourself a couple 2x6x8'. Bolt the male part of the seatbelt to this so they're about 3" from the side of the top.

Now you can unbolt the top of your K5 (or pickup topper) and lift it easily. You can lift it up with the back of your neck high enough to slide the 2x6s under the rails. You then climb out and latch the seatbelts. You then lift one corner at a time by holding up the top and then taking up the slack in the seat belt. To get it back down you then lift the top again and twist the seat belt so you get slack in it. It takes ~15 minutes to take a topper off this way. About 5 minutes of that is trying to get the fscking aluminum clamps to play nice and come off the topper.

Why do it this way when ratchet straps work? Because ratchet straps only lift about 18" before their spool is filled whereas a seat belt can go 4'. Why not just use those cam-type tie downs? Because they have a habit of slipping. A seat belt is designed to keep a 400lb person traveling at 60mph strapped to the floor.

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

that engine hoist gave me an idea...might have to take the wheels off...open the back window and stick the hoist through. undo all the bolts and jack up the hoist so it lifts the top up...stand on one side to balance it and somehow roll the hoist back while balancing. now stand there balancing your top anf hope someone sees you and comes to help get it off, cause i didnt think far enough ahead to tell you how to get it off the top of the hoist...call someone else and have them help you is the best way.

20. georgiared84

I tried it that way. It was very hard to balance side to side. Very top heavy.