Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need ideas for loong travel rear shock setup...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Jan 26, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok gang. I have my revolvers and shackle flip on my rig....but am still have my old Rancho 5000s on there. They are seriously just about maxed out just sitting on my driveway. To solve that short coming, I planned on just getting some DT8000s (13.5" of travel) and using a x-member (from 55willy!) to mount them (similar to Steve Fox's set up).

One problem. Jeremy (55willy) sent me a PM noting that the revolvers give me about 4"+ of axel movement when they open up all the way...if so, that means that my springs would only flex 2"+ before even long-travel shocks would run out of travel. doh! not good! =( Anyone have any ideas on how I might solve this problem? I'd like to do it right the first time...and make it so my shocks arent the "short-link" in the system. It would also be nice if whatever solution I use didn't cost an arm and a leg!! help! ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Putting them on an angle multiplies the amount of travel that they will allow. You'll need to measure carefully at full stuff and full droop to figure out the actual travel you will need. You can also use basic trig to figure it out with only the offset between top and bottom mount (horizontal distance between them, along the axle) and the total amount of travel at the axle mount. This is handy when designing the x-member and axle stud locations. Of course, the more angle on the shocks, the less dampening they will provide. That means you want stiffer shocks when you run more angle to get the same dampening effect. Also, mounting the tops of the shock near the center means that the shocks will give you practically no roll control. Lots of things to think about...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

so what about Jeremys set up PLUS shocks on quick release that are shorter in a closer to stock location? then you could remove two nuts and tie the shocks up and go 4 wheeling.
    time to get back on the road? bolt them back on.
    you have to buy new shocks anyway and this way you get a nice ride on and off the road.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

That idea has been brought up before. Like when you tow, you run the "stock set up" then when you want to flex you just quick release the "stock" shocks and go.

<hr></blockquote><font color=blue>The above feelings are that expressed of the said user, and are in no relation to those of others on this site</font color=blue>