Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need ideas for upgrading the stereo in a 99 burb.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 87GMCJimmy, Aug 21, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Some ideas I had

Head unit
    The stock head unit is ok and if I can I don't mind keeping it, At least for the first round of this build up. I don't know if the stock stereo has pre-amp outs or not.

Speakeers.
    I want to keep the stock speeker locations so that gives me
    6 1/2 mid bass with separate tweeter in the front doors.
    6 1/2 2 ways in the second door
    and 2 4x10's in the rear.
    Just wondering what band of speakers would have all of these sizes and would sound good together. Amp suggestions to drive these speakers.

Subwoofer:
    There are a couple of companies that make custom
    enclosures that replace the center consol or get
    mounted on the rear doors. Anybody know if these
    are any good. They look really sharp but how do they
    sound? Also there not cheap, I can build a normal rectangle
    type box and put it in the rear cargo area pretty easily
    and probably get better performance out of it but it will
    not have that factory look.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Mike

So far I've look at the following speaker combo...

JL audio 10" stealth box subwoofer
    JL audio 6.5 componets for the front door vr650-csi
    JL audio 6.5 coaxial for the second door vr650-cxi

Then for the 4x10's I have the following choices
    Kenwood kfc-415c
    Pioneer ts-a4103
    Kicker k410

any opinions on this design so far??

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I would suggest going with 2 sets of Memphis oversize 6.5 coaxials under 65 a pair and a set of Kenwood 4x10 about 75.00 and run them straight from the factory headunit first. If you are happy with the sound then there is no need for an amp. If you want more out of it then add and amp later.

As far as the sub there is countless ways to do it. I will have the complete JL line in a few weeks and they do offer a stealth enclosure I believe. Also Q-logic makes the rear door panels that I prefer NOT to use because they rattle.

I would suggest a MTX thunderform replacement console. They have built in cup holders and are factory color matched. One 10" woofer, built in amplifier and built in high low convert, and all the wires and complete install instructions. They sell for 519.95 but I would sell them to K5 for 375.00 that is probably one of the cheapest complete setups I could offer and it looks as close to factory as you can get.

3. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Personally i would throw some focals of your choice in powered by mmats or crossfire for both the front and rear. No need for the 4x10s in the rears if your going to have a sub or subs in the rear. I would say if you want a sharp looking system build a fiberglass and mdf enclosure for the sub or subs. if not just build a good mdf boox and carpet to match. Subs depends on what you want to spend but power it by mmats or crossfire. Ive had great experiences with both.