Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need ideas on removing knuckels and saving ball joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, May 10, 2002.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Doing a gear change on my 10 bolt, swapping in a new center section. I have new Moog ball joints in the older axle I'm replacing and as always having a heck of a time getting them out. Want to save the ball joints and knuckels to use in the new center section. Hit with the 5lbs hammer, start to mushroom the bolt & nut. Moves a 1/4" but dosen't drop out. HELP!!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Press them.

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

They can be saved. First off do not tap on the ball joint studs or you will mess them up. All you have to do is find two large hammers. Hold one against one side of the axle casting where the lower stud goes in. Use the other hammer to beat on the opposite side of the casting. Alternate between the upper and lower housing and keep your toes out of the way. You might also try loosening the upper spanner sleeve before starting the tapping, it will take the pressure off the upper balljoint. Hope this helps.

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I use a pickle fork with a wider tang separation and a somewhat dramatic slope angle to each tang. The separation prevents dust boot destruction, while the slope angle removes the knuckle easily without damging the joints. Just a couple of taps with a 5# and out they come.

How do I know? I replaced my ball joints on the Burb this past weekend. When the driver side was reassembled, I noticed I forgot the upper dust boot! It was 1AM at the time.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif. These ball joints were new and had never seen a single foot, let alone mile, with no time to set , but I think it would work similarly for your application.

My $0.02...

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I just did my ball joints and in the instructions they said that the nut for the lower joint should not be reused since it is a torque prevailing nut. I would suggest getting a new one when you reinstall. Just my .02 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif