Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need ideas to help remove trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Nov 25, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've almost completed parting the '89 sub that I bought for the TBI system. I still have the 700R4 to remove, but since the engine is seized, I can't get to the last bolts for the torque converter.

The engine failed, probably because the PO didn't use enough coolant. Both sides of the block are broken - pushed out and cracked. Many things internally are rusty, like the timing chain, and surfaces.

So far I've removed the heads (they look good), exhaust manifolds, timing cover. I soaked the pistons in oil over night hoping to free them up, and tried to spin the motor with the harmonic balancer bolt; it would'nt budge. I took the BFH (4 lb mini sledge) and smacked the pistons, hoping break something free, no go. But, I might add that I was impressed by their strength. Not one broke... :bow:

I think that my last choice is to drop the oil pan and disconnect the connecting rods to get it to spin. I am wondering is there is a thrown rod. Two pistons on the passenger side are almost the same height...They are very close, and towards the bottom.

Any ideas are appreciated. I am trying to sell the trans locally, but if I can'[t remove it, I'm out the $$$ :doah:

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

leave the converter in place and pull the tranny.or could support the tranny and pull what is left of the engine.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yep

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It'll make a mess, but I'd just leave the converter on the flexplate as well

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Although I'm sure I could pull the trans off if the engie/trans were pulled out, I don't think there is enough room to slide the trans back and clear the spline for the pump. The last thing I want to do is have it hanging there by the spline.

Has anyone actually tried this?

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I'd pull motor & tranny all in one piece if the motor is bad too.