Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dip Stick, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

I had my motor rebuilt by a friend and he didn't check any of the rotating asembly like he said he did. He also didn't put any of the gaskets on right. Because of this the motor leaked out all but 1/2 quart of oil and now i have to put in a new crank, bearings, 2 of the rods, and all the rings. My question is, what should i do about my so called machanic friend. i can't really think of any non-illegal ideas so I figured you guys could help me out....ANY ideas are welcomed. Thanks

PS - Im having a different shop do all the work

<font color=red> Live Fast, Love Hard, and Die Young </font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Did he charge you to do the work????????

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. Dip Stick

No, the work was all for free since he was a "friend"

1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that but sometimes vauable lessons are hard earned.....

thebigdaddyof2

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If he is a friend. It looks like your outta luck.. If he charged you then you could at least ask for the money back. Sorry not much help..Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

6. Dip Stick

I guess that this lesson was very hardly learned, but I just talked to a friend and he said he would have a "Come to Jesus" talk with him...

1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

7. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your friend is kind of an a-hole... But I can't think of anything that you could do that wouldn't make you as much if not more of a tool than your "friend." If you've told him about it already and he hasn't offered to make any restitutions, then I say f--- him - you spent some money to find out who your friends are. If you haven't told him and he really is a friend, maybe he'll offer something (if he offers mechanical help however, I'd be wary...)

Good luck, man, sorry to hear.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not sure how to deal with your "friend" but might I suggest a nice new oil pressure gauge to go with the next rebuild? [​IMG] You should have known that it was low on oil, WAY before there was only 1/2 of a quart left. [​IMG] He may have screwed up the rebuild, but I think that you share some responsibility with him for the engine getting trashed. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, I was kinda wondering myself "half a litre of oil?". Hell, brother, I kick myself if I let the crankcase drop by half a litre. How often do you check your oil? Anyhow, I can remember a time when I didn't check or change my oil near often enough.

But I digress. I assume you paid for the parts- I think your "buddy" owes you some money for the parts. Your failure to keep an eye on fluid levels makes you responsible as well to a certain degree. I would tell your bud to pay you back for half the parts.

BTW, I'm not trying to give you crap. I'm sure you feel bad enough but consider this a lesson- CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL OFTEN.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You asked for opinions, so here is mine. If he was not compensated for doing the engine then he owes you an apology. If he is a true "friend" as you say then he will make it right for you.... As far as not putting any of the gaskets on right I don't quite understand that. Were they on backwards, inside out, not there, upside down, crooked or what. That doesn't make sense to me.

As few and far between "friends" are nowadays I choose to keep the ones I have when posible. Accepting mistakes they make is all a part of friendships. I have had a few friendships that have cost me a bit more than an engine overhaul....depends on what value you put on your friendship.

To sum it up...Ask yourself this question..."?Did he do it on purpose to mess you up or was it an accident?"

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing>http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing</a>