Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need ignition wiring help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Feb 15, 2006.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its about time to wire up the truggy.
    I want to use the stock key ignition for supplying power then a momentary push button to start it.
    My problem is that there are 7 wires coming out of the ignition "block" located above the steering column.
    6 of the wires are heavy guage and 1 is a small guage wire.
    Can someone with a good manual or something tell me what color wire does what??
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unfortunately he'll need the plug if those will be any help.

I had my ignition switch apart, but didn't bother to check...does your switch have each terminal labeled with a number or letter? Most components are, which will correlate to the wiring diagram numbers.

Either that, or figure out which wire(s) provide power to the switch from the battery, and use a multimeter to figure out which ones make contact at which ignition switch position.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I just went thru this on my old T Bird. A multi-meter and patience are required. Is the wiring hooked up and operational? If so, just find the hot wire coming OUT of the switch. The one that is hot when the key is in the run position. Mark that one.
    Now, using an ohm meter, find the wire that shows continuity between the hot wire going INTO the switch and 1 wire going OUT of the switch, when the key is in the start position.
    The first wire you found will be the hot feed to the starter button.
    The second wire you found will be the wire you connect to the output side of the starter button.
    On my T Bird, I used 2 toggle switches. One for all the accessories, and one for the ignition. Then a push button for the starter.
    All the ignition key does in mine is lock the column.
    Had to do it this way cause the ignition switch died, and a new one is $160, if I can find one.

5. 85mudblazin

Nope no way to test it.
    These are the only wires left in the whole truck.:crazy:

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You can still do it, but it will take a little longer to find what was the original hot feed to the switch. Turn the key to the run position, then find 2 wires that show a circuit. I have an ohmmeter that "beeps" when I have a circuit, makes it easier than looking at a dial.
    Now turn the key back to accessory and find 2 wires that make a circuit. One of these 2 wires should be 1 of the first 2 wires that you found.
    Now hold the key in the start position and find the 2 wires that make a circuit. One of these 2 wires should be the same wire that you found in both of the previous tests.
    The wire that is common to all 3 tests should be the hot feed to the ignition switch.
    The other wire that you found in the first test should be the hot ignition wire coming out of the ignition switch.
    Get some masking tape and mark the wires as you go.
    I did my T Bird in about 1 hour, but that is because I was outside in -10 weather, and I had to keep coming inside to thaw out my fingers!!!
    Hope this helps.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have it done :) i didnt read this whole post yet though, did you figure it out?
    I just took my thin switch wire that goes to the starter (12-14 guage purple wire) and split that and put it to a momentary pust button

8. 85mudblazin

No not yet. I was hoping for someone to just tell me what each color wire does but I guess ill have to do some work to find oit out:crazy:

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

my info doesnt help? I think the purple one goes to the starter and that'd be the one you used for the push button.

10. 85mudblazin

so what do the other 6 wires do?? :D

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

sorry, i thought you just wanted how to wire a push button, i cannot help with the others :) but i'll learn from who ever does tell ya

12. chriswalker(lordcag)

chriswalker(lordcag) Registered Member

the guy with the manuals link made my day, thank you.