Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need IMMEDIATE d 60 help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Feb 2, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I am reassembling the axle and am up to the hub/ disc assembly. when i install the hub and disc and tighten down the nut and then spin the hub, itspins out of true. like the bearings arent seated properly. its not the disc warped and i tried my other hub assebly so its not that. it cant be a bent spindle, that wouldnt cause runout. i cant for the lifge of me figure it out. there is 1 seal i didnt use. it didnt state to in the manual, i thought it might be one for liek a ford??? i dont think that could cause this but who knows. its a red one if that helps. the way i have it now from inner c out is 1 seal, bearing, race, then on the outside of the hub, race, bearing, washer, nut. Hekp

p.s its drw new rotors, bearings, seals. the races looked ok, but could the old races be causing the problem?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thinking more about it, could this be something where once weight is applied the bearings will sit right? its like the bearings just arent positioned right in the races. cause its the hub thats spinning off center. and yes im spinning the hub/ rotor while tightening

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Make sure the races are pressed in all the way

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

im gonna check but they should be, their the old ones. and both rotor/ hub assemblies do the same thing

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Make sure the rotor is pushed all the way on. I had to tap mine a few times with a hammer to get it all the way seated.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

ditto, if the lug studs aren't seated properly it will make it look untrued

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

its definetly on all the way, when i pull it off you can see where the seal was sitting. its a drw so the rotor is bolted on, and yes the bolts are tight. i checked the runout on it (i pushed a screwdriver against the rotor from a fixed point and the spun the rotor.) it was out a good 3/32's-1/8" its out side to side and vertically. i cant figure it out. its like the nearings arent seated. is it nessecary to install new races when new bearings are installed?

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

believe me, i had to do the same thing, its the inner seal seating the spindle that makes it hard to get on.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

come on guys, i need that knowledge of yours!:D

10. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

So you tried your screwdriver indicator trick on the hub itself and that is moving up and down and in and out? That would have to be bearing and race related. I have always replaced both bearing and race together but can't imagine it would cause this severe of an issue if not replaced together. Two different brands? Bearing vs race I mean? Maybe they are not built to the same spec on the bearing to race seats, maybe a different angle on the bearing?

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

it must have been the races. i just replaced them and its all good now. i cant believe that the races made it that bad. well thats what i get for being lazy. all better now:D