Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info, 4bt, nv4500, doubler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Sep 11, 2005.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 Blazer with a sb400/700r4/np203, 14boltff/dana44 currently.

This week I'm getting a 4bt that is rebuilt and a nv4500 also rebuilt.

1) I have the original 203 in the '78. Can this be used with a doubler AND be put on an nv4500? Oh, it came on a kcase th350 originally in the truck. 27 spline count.

2a) the nv4500 will have a hydralic clutch setup in the bellhousing, what would be a good doner for the clutch pedal and master/slave cyl?

2b) On the brakes, what would be a good doner on the hydralic brake booster? Just any year in that era diesel 3/4 ton?

2c) Do I need to grab both 2a and 2b from the same truck?

3) the truck has a 2" lift and I'm going 4". Due to the weight of the 4bt, do I need 6" lift in the front and 4 in the back? I like the front either completely even with the back or up to 1 " higher. never lower. This is an "I experienced that" kinda question.

4) flywheel source for the 4bt to nv4500?

5) Motor mounts for 4bt? I weld good, just lack of time unless I have to.

Need to order/junkyard the stuff above to get it in...

6) Dana 60 will be coming after the above changes - but that is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the info, If you think of anything else, please feel free... Oh, and I have no problem making something fit. I'd just like to start out with the best/closest options.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The only one I can answer is. To mate the 203 to the NV4500 you have to change the input on the 203 to 32 spline. After that you drill the face of the 203 to mount it to the NV4500. I would post up in the ORD forum He would be able to answer more in depth about mounting the 203 to a 4500.

Ira

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

thanks, i'll post there about the doubler

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

1) Swap in a 32-spline input on the 203, and drill the face for the 6-bolt pattern. Then it will bolt right on.

2a) GM pedal for sure. I would suggest a matched master/slave from the same application to avoid a possible volume mis-match. If its a Dodge bellhousing, I'd try to use a Dodge master also

2b) Anything 73-87( or 91 R/V series) 1-ton or diesel. Fittings changed around '80, so match the pump, booster, and steering box to the same era or you need custom lines.

2c) No. You may save some wreck-out time if you do though ;)

3) Maybe those front spring should be 1-ton grade... a 4BT weighs what - 800lbs? If you do go too high on the front, you can compensate with a zero-rate or a short lift block.

4) Probably the flywheel used on the 6BT in the Dodge

5) GM dealer. There's a few years the 4BT was put into the P-series stepvans. This page shows the 4BT in the P-van frame along with some mounts http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos1.htm