Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need info asap on sm465 to nv4500 conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 2, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey guys,

did your drive shaft lenghts change much when you put in the nv4500 instead of the sm454???

got my 4" bds lift on, and I don't believe for a second lift is ONLY 4"! that thing sits WAY high and my drive shafts are too short. the front is about 2" from reaching the yoke! the rear may reach but I don't think its gonna be long enough. it'll work for now unless I flex hard... [​IMG]

I'm wondering if I order new drive shafts now how much are those lenghts going to change when I go to a nv4500 instead of the sm465???

also, how much are new drive shafts gonna cost???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. solowookie

top...

come on, I know somebody has done this conversion... they are out there and on the ck5 site!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Jeeze Jeff, I gotta see this thing when your done!

I don't know about the conversion, but I've seen a NP4500 and a 465 (but not side by side) and off the top of my bean, I think their pretty close to the same length, give or take a couple of inches (I think the 4500 is longer) not that helps you much.
    I'd like to say thow, How much do you really need a O.D. trans? Do you have a massive commute to work, or make some long haulls on a regular basis? I think from a strength and function point of view, I'd stick with the 465. But thats just me.

The springs will probably soffen up some. You'll probably loose a inch or so when they get stttled, You might even want to loosen up the spring bolts, then jounce it, and retorque the bolts after it gets some miles on it. My measurements for my Blaxer are as follows; About 47 to 48" measured from the ground up to the body line, measured at the axle center line streight up. That should be about a 8" overall lift with true 35" tires and about a 4" lift, I hope that helps some.

there is a drive line maker in Ogden, Ut. (I can't remember the name right now, but they are on of the biger ones, and addvetize in most of the mags) I think a ball park figure for a drive line would be about $300+, I need to get acouple made also, so once again, let me know what you find out.

Twiztid

4. solowookie

Hey Eric it's been awhile! [​IMG]

I never got around to cleaning all that oil off that front axle so a couple kids took wire brushes to it and did a number. I gotta tell you that those axles are in a LOT better shape then the ones I took off! [​IMG] I'm getting REALLY anxious!

now the info on the sm465 vs. nv4500. I can't say that I really 'need' one, but I would really like to have and OD. It will be a daily drive, but my office is 10 feet from my back door. you know what it's like around here. The closest stop sign is 40 miles away and interstate speed limit is 75.

I'd actually like to change out gears eventually (couple years, about same time frame for nv4500) to 4.56's. If I do this I'd definatley want the nv4500. I just want to keep my options open.

it'll be a couple days until the thing is street ready. I'm take it out for a couple drives and then take your suggestion and jounce the thing a bit. I'm not sure they torqued the bushings correctly.

I'll have to look for that place in Ogden. I'm gonna see if I can make everything work with the 1" spacer first I think. Time will tell! [​IMG]

and yea, we are DEFINATELY gonna have to get together when we get these things drivable! I think I'm a LOT more excited to see your then your gonna be to see mine. I've seen the projects yours got going on first hand! LOL

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Very cool, Keep in touch!

You know, I'll remember the name of that drive line company the day after I needed too! Just figures.

A 10 foot comute, How's the trafic? LOL

Twiztid

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

try the 69-72(first generation board). Steven Chin and another person have done this conversion. Should not be to different from the second gen.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I haven't had much to do with Steve Chin, But I know the man knows his stuff! Yery smart dude!

Twiztid

8. solowookie

hey thanks for the info... I've been thinking about this and I'm gonna try to let the springs settle, do the tcase drop, and get the 1" spacer on. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it won't come to a custom drive shaft... (yea right with my luck I'll be sending those guys a pm and buying new shafts!) LOL

9. solowookie

by the way does anybody happen to know Steve Chin's user ID???

10. jazzman

jazzman Newbie

Just finished putting a nv4500 in my 81 C20. Fairly easy swap used Adv Ad belling housing so I could use manual clutch system. plus I used their space block for the tranny mount Started on Friday night and finished yesterday afternoon. The tunnel cover took a bit of work mainly due to the fact I wanted to keep the stock transfer shifting indicator which I did. Just moved the location 2 inches back and 1 inch to the right and with a little heat moved the shift lever out of the way. Like I said fairly easy swap.

11. 82355

82355 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice bump?

Martin

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 12 year sooooooper dredge...:haha: