Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need info, chevy driveshaft tech

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RodeoRob, Apr 28, 2003.

1. RodeoRob

RodeoRob Registered Member

My Isuzu needs a double cardon shaft to solve my vib problems and i'm looking to do some retrofitting. i remember my friends K5 Blazer using a flanged-style front CV (unbolts, as opposed to yoke w/ straps).

For any of you that know, or might have a spare CV shaft laying around you can measure, is the pilot/centering hole on the CV joint chevy uses male or female? do you know its aproximate diameter?
    Or, do you know what spicer CV chevy used?

What i'm getting at is i'm looking for a double cardon joint, that bolts to a flange, with a male pilot, and a has a pilot equal to or bigger than my isuzu (i can machine it down and redrill the bolt pattern).

Thanks
    -Rob

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have two front chevy flange style shafts laying on the floor at home right now and the flange piece that goes on the t-case. You need to know if there is a hole or a 'button' on the shaft part itself for centering where it bolts to the flange on the t-case? The only thing that I can recall that 'centers' on a cv is the enternal centering part inside the cv itself. Don't recall any other type of centering thing. I'll try and remember to look tonight and measure.

Dan

3. RodeoRob

[​IMG]

what i'm looking for is label A in the picture. And i need to know whether its a male (pictured) or female pilot on the driveshaft/cv flange (not tcase flange).

Thanks for the help
    -Rob

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

WOOOAAA! Not trying to hi-jack your post or anything...but I just checked out the link in your sig w/ the pics of your Isuzu w/ the SAS! That is pretty sweet! Definetly unique... you don't see too many people that build a Rodeo for a hardcore 4x4 rig!

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Well right off I can tell you that the flange on the CVs that I have is round and has a large hole in it. Guess that'd make it female huh?/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If I remember right then the square flange that it bolts to (illustrated) has a raised area to center the round flange. I will measure the 2 'holes' in the CVs I have tonight. In the image above, the square flang IS the part that bolts to the t-case but you said "what i'm looking for is label A in the picture. And i need to know whether its a male (pictured) or female pilot on the driveshaft/cv flange (not tcase flange)".
    CV shaft end= a large hole in the round flang 'female'
    CV t-case end= a raised centering section 'male'
    I'll try and get a pic or two tonight and post tomorrow to make sure we're on the same page.

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Got some pics so we can all see what we're talking about.
    The measurements:
    Round d-shaft flange edge to edge= 5"
    D-shaft inner hole= 3 1/8"
    T-case square flange edge to edge= 4 1/4" (this is a 205 flange)
    Raised centering section (male)= 3 1/8"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RodeoRob

Mudstud, thanks for the picts, thats exactly what i was looking for. Unfortunately, i was hoping that raised center part was on the CV itself, not on the 205 flange... as my Isuzu tcase flange has a female pilot and i was hoping i could find a CV where i could just turn down the pilot to the correct size and redrill the new bolt pattern. Looks like i'll probably resort to having to make an adapter to sandwhich between the shaft and the tcase after all.

Poohbair, thanks for the compliments. I enjoy being somewhat different and having to fab most of my additions. Like i said, i helped a friend build his '86 K5 Blazer and i have taken a lot from this site and you guys into my truck. I run a 14bff in the rear with 56" springs. did the Rancho 9012's with F250 towers. all those things i learned here.

Thanks
    -Rob

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You do have a sweet ride. Nice to see something a little odd hitting the trails. Wish the shaft deal worked out but at least we ruled that possability out. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Good luck

9. RodeoRob

thanks, i just got done talking to jess this afternoon at highangledriveline. looks like the solution will be to make a pilot adapter to adapt a toyota CV which has a smaller male pilot on the CV, to fit into the larger female pilot on the isuzu tcase flange

-Rob