Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info. from someone that has a 1 ton Dana 60 front.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Klef72K5, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I'm doing some checking and need some information from you guys. I'm looking for a 1 ton Dana 60 front. What I need is the strip tag numbers for the axle. They are bolted onto the coverplate. I would prefer from a unit that has 4:10 gears in it originally. It doesn't matter what you have in it now.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Klef,

Are you trying to get the tooth counts for a 4.10 ratio gearset?

I think that info might be in the archives somewhere.....

3. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Greg, no, I know the tooth count. What I'm trying to do is buy a new axle with that gear ratio. The axle number will give me all the information I need to do this.

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Come on guys! No one has a 1 ton Dana 60 up front with the strip tag still on it?

5. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Sorry Klef, I just checked mine and it doesnt have the tag on it.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Klef,

The only "strip tag" I've ever seen was on a D44. I thought that there were only 2 pieces of data on it....the ring gear and pinion counts and the ratio.....something like:

41 11

Is there something additional you need? I know that there are stampings ON the axletube that will tell you production information about the axle. I know that I've seen those on my D60, and I could share those with you if it helps. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Greg strip tags contain alot of info. The numbers will tell you the ring and pinion teeth count, what plant it was built at, the axle number, year and a serial number. In fact that is how they knew it was a Ryder truck that was used in the Oklahoma bombing. All Dana axles are built with stip tags 30's, 35's, 44's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80 models.
    By finding a tag with the 4:10 gears in it, when I give the axle number it will tell all. Hopefully they will have some in a warehouse and I will be able to purchase a complete and new axle with a Dana discount. It's a long shot, but worth a try!
    I'm going to post this on the Garage too. Maybe I can get someone there.