Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on 14b SF axles & brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Feb 5, 2002.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have recently acquired a 14b SF axle. It is an 8 lug. It came out of a diesel Suburban.

It has some kind of posi in it. Havent checked the gears yet. My ? is can I get 6 lug stuff from a newer (88-98) pickup. Will the axles work. How about brakes? How hard to convert to six lug operation?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

John, I just did this swap this fall.

The best way to convert to 6-lug is to get 6-lug axleshafts and brakes. I looked into machining the 8-lug shafts into 6, but the brake index on the end of the shaft has to be machined WAY down just to fit through a 6-lug wheel. Making it work with a 6-lug drum would require machining to the drum as well. It was going to cost me about $120 for shipping and machining on my shafts. I went with new axleshafts, they were less than $100/ea. Used ones from a newer pickup will fit your housing. They are all 35-spline and the bearing and seal surfaces are all in the same place. I have heard stories that there are two different lengths of 6-lug shafts, but all the shafts that I have seen have been the same length (6 and 8). Just make sure you are getting what you want, they all should fit in your axle with no seal or bearing changes. If the sub is 91 or older, it should bolt right onto the springs and shocks.

I built disc brakes for it, so I can't tell you all the details of doing 6-lug drums. You can redrill the 8-lug drums for 6-lug, but the brake index will be way too big and only the wheel studs and the shoes would keep the drum in the right location. It would be better to get some drums off a 6-lug 90's truck with the 9.5" axle. I think that the I.D. of the drums is the same, so you could use the same backing plate, shoes, cylinders, etc., but you should confirm that. The 6-lug drum should fit perfectly on the 6-lug axleshaft. If you get all of this from a junkyard, you should be able to get the shafts and drums from the same truck and be done. Be aware that new drums are about $80/ea.!

I also did a lot of research into the possibility of an 8-lug to 6-lug adapter for the S/F 14. Almost nobody is willing to build it and even those who say they can have never done it before and do not have any evidence that it can be strong. I came up with a design that illistrates how close together some of the stuff has to be. I can email the drawing to you if you would like.

If you want to know how I did the disc brakes, please search on my old posts on it. I explained there about how I used all stock brake components from various vehicles and just had to have a very small amount of machining done. It is set up to fit inside 15" wheels.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you could send that drawing to chatfriends2@hotmail.com, it'd be greatly appreciated. I want to see it, just out of curiousity, as I have an 8 lug 14 bolt SF too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey man where in Richmond do you live?
    im in chesterfield...let me know if you need some help with your swap...i just finished up my 14 bolt swap into my K5...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm out in Goochland, about 15 minutes west of Richmond. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it when I get going with it.

John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

National Drivetrain had the 6 lug axle shafts for $88+/- a little while ago and they had them in stock...

Mike

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>
    says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>