Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on 79 TA, again:)

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by lowlevell, Mar 15, 2001.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I had a chance to kinda go over my "new" 79' TA today. Both the power doorlocks were froze in the locked position.So i took out the rod that goes from the motor to the lock. The passenger window does not work, but when i click the button i can hear the motor trying.I'm going to bang on it with a hammer this weekend.The heater motor bearing is going out. This looks to be the biggest problem, considering that you have to take off the fender to replace it the "right" way:( but i will probably cut out a U shaped door in the wheelwell.

Now for my questions. Someone pulled all of the emissions off ( except the cat) and almost everything that went to the air cond.I have at least 6 vacuum lines with screws stuck in them and a few that lead to nowhere. The choke tube is rotted off, need to know if one from any GM v8 will work.(It looks like the shaker had been off the car and water had sat on the engine and rotted the tube.The EGR is gone,some one put a plate over where it used to be.And i really think the EGR should be on the car, but not sure. I need to know who (besides JC Whittney) makes aftermarket stuff for this car, and which repair manual would be good.This is all of the immediate problems i found with the car. Any help here would be appriciated.Thanks.....

One From None

2. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

send a private to tablazer! He knows ALL, when it comes to Pontiacs!

baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Don't buy that crap from JCW!!!! Bad! Summit Racing, Jeg's, P.A.W. are all awsome and affordable sources for parts. Kaufman Racing also has some sweet Pontiac Performance items as does AmesPerformance and Jim Butler perf. Can find them in just about any search engine... WAHOO Poncho's Rule [​IMG]

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna pick up the Haynes manual for it today. Guys, i really need to know if i should put the EGR back on it.

One From None

5. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

Personally i wouldn't fool with the egr valve, unless your state has strict emission laws! As the 400 being a big block, if it is a pontiac 400 (6.6 ltr), it is neither a small or big block, it is a Pontiac 400. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but it is kinda like a "big block" block with "small block" heads.

baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

6. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

As far as the EGR valve goes i wouldnt worry about it. You didn't say if you have a poncho or olds 400-403, but i have a olds 350 that i blocked off the egr and it ran just fine. I've heard of people blocking off the passages in the heads to avoid unecessary heat transfer to the intake. Colder air carries more oxygen which equals more power- I think.

[​IMG]

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Its the Olds 403. The guy before me put a blocking plate over the hole where the EGR was.I thought that by not having the EGR, my engine will ping. But i cant tell if its pinging because of the Flowmasters.

One From None

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That heater motor goes out on every TA and Firebird. Mine is shot too. If I were you I'd just pull off the fender. Considering how much rust these things accumulate, I'd be a little wary about creating any more holes for water and dirt to get into. Just pull the fender off and rust-proof the back of them.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

9. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I took a good look at it this weekend.Im going to replace the heater motor, heater core, and heater hoses next weekend. It looks like the fender well will come out fairly easily. But if it doesnt, i will have to pull the whole fender.

Also, wont i have to get the rims polished after i sandblast them? I always thought that SBing left a dull but clean look.It does to steel anyway.....

One From None

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you are right about the blasting. I didn't think of that. You could always get a Dremmel rotary tool and use it to polish them. They can polish aluminum really well, I've done it before on my Monte's MAF sensor.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

11. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You will need a choke tube specific to the engine model and production year. Some years interchange, others don't. If your VIN starts with 2W87K9xxxxxxx or 2X87K9xxxxxxx, you have an Olds 403. If it is 2W87Z9xxxxxxx or 2X87Z9xxxxxxx, you have the PMD 400. FWIW, I usually junk the hot air chokes in favor of a later electric choke. The E-headed 455-HO in my '79 has an electric choke on it (along with a single plane intake and a built Quadrajet).

Don't bang on the window with a hammer. The common causes of failure of the windows are the rubbing blocks getting out of adjustment, the grease getting caked up/dirty in the guides, and motor failure.

Heater motor replacement is easy if you get the inner fender off, but it is near-impossible to get it off without taking the fender off. I've loosened the fender in the past (most bolts out) to get at the A/C or heater stuff, but I prefer to get the entire fender off. Remember that the hood comes off first (at least it's not that heavy, being devoid of a reasonable chunk of sheetmetal and bracing - weighs less than a '70-1/2 Formula's fiberglass hood), then the rubber nose comes off. Removing the fender is not as big a deal as it sounds like, but it is time-consuming.

Repair manuals? Forget the aftermarket garbage. Obtain a 1978 Pontiac Factory Service Manual and the 1979 Service Suppliment. Those will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the Firebird. I've got '70, '74, '78, '79 manuals for the Firebirds or Pontiacs in general and a number of other GM FSMs. Absolutely invaluable.

Ditto the other post on JCW. All of what they carry for the F-body is garbage. Check with Ames Performance Engineering, Classic Industries, Year One, The Paddock. They all carry resto stuff for the Firebird. If you want performance stuff, Summit has some nice stuff if you can wade through all of the Brand X garbage in their catalog. Talk to Nunzi Romano in Brooklyn, NY or Jim Butler in Leoma, TN for build-up stuff. Both of those guys are hard-core Pontiac racers of good reputation. I've put together a few fairly fast/quick Pontiacs too over the last 23 years (mostly smog-legal, like my '79 T/A), so you can email me for specific information.

WRT the smog stuff, think twice before acing the rest of it. I'd vote to put it all back on. A lot of states are going to enact similar smog laws to California's, and if they do you're gonna be hating life (trust me, I put the 455 in my '79 when the car was a week old and still in warranty. Finding all of the correct smog parts/wiring and putting it all together and making it work is a nightmare).

See my '79's specs at my web site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/SteveCars.html>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/SteveCars.html</A>

12. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

It is correct that there's no such thing as a Pontiac big or small block. All Pontiacs have the same bore spacing. Externally, the 326-455 family has the same dimensions (with the exception of some motor mount provision changes and changes to the timing cover/water pump). The 301 family has a shorter deck, but earlier heads can be bolted onto the block with a few modifications (water passage changes, intake manifold changes).

A traditional Pontiac V8 isn't really like a big block or a small block, but it is similar to both in basic layout. It's a beast all unto itself (which is why typical Chevy hot-rodding thinking doesn't necessarily lend itself to Pontiacs).

13. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! I will probably have some more questions for you soon.....

One From None