Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need info on a good lift and factory lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79GMC, May 17, 2000.

1. 79GMC

79GMC Newbie

I have a 79 Jimmy that I would like to lift without altering the factory components much ( Pittman arm, brake lines, ride etc..). I would like to go up two or three inches so I can clear 34'' tires, any suggestions for a particular lift? I also Have a factory GM 14 bolt locker in the rear and would like to know how durable it is and if it requires special fluid to keep it working smoothly. I live in Colorado Springs so if anyone knows a good local 4x4 shop that sell lifts or an online company it would be much appreciated.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You should do a search on old posts. Those subjects have been covered a lot. The bottom line is that most guys in this forum think that Tuff Country EZRide susp. lift is one of the most confortable ones and has a fair price. They have it in 2" & 3", which is what you're looking for. You could go with new springs on all four sides, or only in the front and for the back you could install lift blocks, or do a shackle flip. The shackle flip can be a homemade or bought at http://www.offroaddesign.com. These guys also carry the Tuff Country stuff.

When the time (and $$$) comes, I'm planning on 3" front springs and the Offroaddesign shackle flip. I'm also trying to avoid the hassle of modifying steering and driveline components.

Go 79s!!!

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I absolutely agree with everything just said. I'm also going with Tough Country for my 76 and shackle filp. The flip is 4 inches and should make it ride level or just a hair up in th air.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Concerning the rear axle, the factory offered "locker" you describe is actually a limited slip and not a true locker, even though GM refered to it as the "Gov-Lok". The Gov-Loks are not known for being durable or for doing a good job of keeping both rear tires spinning in rough conditions, though some people have had okay luck with them. Yes, they do require a friction modifier to be added to the standard gear oil.

5. BlkBlazer86

BlkBlazer86 Registered Member

I used to live in Colorado Springs and I believe the name of two local 4 wheel shops are: Predator 4WD & Tanner 4WD. I am not sure about prices or how could they are...I hope this helps.

Always Chevy Powered!!!!!!
    BlkBlazer86

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I've got the Tuff Country EZ ride 3" front and 4" rear leafs with their brand of shocks... I was hoping for a nice EZ ride... If you ask me, it's pretty damn stiff. A lot more so than I was looking for.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

7. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I just broke the Gov Lock in the 10-bolt of my '90 K5 this winter in the snow. I have never heard anyone say anything good about them. I do know that when mine was working, while off-roading it would let the rear wheels slip, and then would engage harshly all of a sudden.

But Randy, from Randy's Ring and Pinion (http://www.ring-pinion.com/Gear Talk/Eaton.html), has this to say about Gov Locks "The Gov-Lock can fail in any number of ways and often does. Usually the case will break in half, but sometimes small internal parts will break. I have no intention of defending them except to say that the Gov-Locks used in 3/4 & 1 ton trucks hold up fairly well due to their sheer size". So he feels that the strength of the Gov Lock in your 14 bolt is OK.

I have heard that the clutches wear out also.

But I can say that the road manners of my Gov Lock were great - it was never intrusive on the pavement.

I will replace this Gov Lock with a clutch-type posi since I do more street driving than off-roading with the '90 K5. I will never run a Gov Lock in a 10 or 12 bolt again, but I think if I came across a 14 bolt with a Gov Lock I'd give it a shot!

Later!

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer