Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Info On Dana 44 Seals Please !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by californiak5, May 12, 2001.

1. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I am rebuilding a front Dana 44 out of a 1976 K20. All new bearings and seals except for the carrier(Sp?) and pinion bearings. Anyhow, I have the whole spindal and hub assemblies out along with the axles and it looks like there is a inner seal on the inside of the axle tubes right by the carrier itself. Do you have to pull the carrier assembly to change these seals? I don't see any other way to get to them. I am also planing on changing the pinion seal as well, so any info on that would be greatly appriciated as well. Thanks in advance.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, you have to pull the shafts out and the carrier too. Those seals go in from the inside differential with the cover off. Its hard to get a hammer in there to tap them in place, so plan on finding or getting a long bar to stick thru the tubes and a block of wood to sit on the seal while you pound the long bar. Best done with two people. Grease the seal before you put the carrier back in. This will aid in sliding the shaft in without damaging the seal while it is dry.

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Thank you VERY much Wes. One more thing. When I do the Pinion seal I should be able to mark the nut and count the number of turns it takes to take it off and then put it back in the same manner right? This is a first for me. I am pretty sure this is what I need to do, but I want to be positive. Thanks again.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You could, but on the pinion, there is a crush sleeve. This sets the pre-load and rolling torque on the pinion. Any tighter than what it is now and you run the chance of throwing the whole shebang off. The teeth wont line up correctly. So, to make it easier, mark the nut and the pinion, take them out, clean them, install the new seal, put them back together, use a torque wrench, and LOCK TIGHT the nut!!! Torque it down to factory specs and see where the marks you made are at then. If they are off a little, tighten till you meet it. But if the nut has gone PAST the mark, stop, dont tighten anymore.

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the little seals that go betweent the axle yoke and spindle. I think these come with a new spindle bearing. The number of the kit you need there is BNK-1, I believe.

Mark the nut and put it back to the same place. Over-tightening won't actually change the gear setup, what it will do is put too much load on the pinion bearing and cause it to fail. Not a good idea!

Good luck, this is an important lesson. Everyone should know how their front axle is put together. Now you will know!

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

6. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Dana 44's use shims not a crush sleeve to set pinion bearing preload. If overtightened the only thing that happens is the nut is overtightened! Contact pattern is not affected. If the D44 had(but it doesn't)a crush sleeve the only thing that would change is the pinion bearing preload.

Tighten it up to factory specs(probably around 210ft-lbs) and you'll be fine!

Ron

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I agree withh all that heve replied.

I suggest, marking the pinion,and nut, -pretty much a sure fire bet when putting it back togather-. Tighten the nut as needed (not sure of the torque specs, over 150 ft/lbs for sure) D44 do not have a crush sleave, but lineing up the marks get you right back to where it was to start with.

As far as the inner axle shafts seals, I probably would not worry about them much, unless they are leaking baddly (gear lube leaking out of the axle tube). Part time 4x4 only spin the front axle shafts when the hubs are locked- so axle shaft seal wear is minimal -kinda-. And they are (from what I've heard) a b!tch to install, plus you have to pull the gears case out to do it.

Twiztid