Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on emmissions in Houston TX area - moving

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Mar 12, 2007.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I'll be moving to TX in about a month.

I have a 1978 Blazer with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. Had a 400sb gas engine from factory.

Will it pass inspection?

Thanks!

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

what county are you moving to? I think Harris county is the only one that does emissions testing but I'm not sure how far back they go. I always had my trucks registered through my dad's shop in brazoria county.... no emissions and cheaper insurance

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

Here are the basic rules in texas:

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Vehicles registered in designated county. Designated counties include: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from the emissions standards, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Vehicles between 2 - 24 years old OR upon expiration of the 2 year initial inspection sticker[/FONT]

since they go by vin, it will say 400cid, i'm sure, but there's probably a form or something to register it as a deisel.

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

looks like i found what you're looking for. it actually refers to home-built buggies, hotrods, etc. but probably applies to you:

The year model of a reconstructed vehicle will be the same year in which it was reconstructed and not the year of original manufacture. Therefore, the inspection requirements would be for the model year of the vehicle (same as the year of reconstruction) or the year model of the engine itself, whichever is the later model.

by the look of it, you can just tell them you have a cummins in there and they'll test (not test, actually) accordingly.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yours is over 25 years old. It is now emisson free in Houston.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Is the Safety Inspection the same as years ago? They toot your horn, check your seatbelts, lights, winshield for cracks, etc?

The inspectors always seemed to find your windshield wipers as worn out and headlights out of alignment:mad:

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

yeah, they check all that, and a lot more stupid junk. i have to have windshield wipers, but there's no law that says i have to have a windshield. wtf?

8. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I do thank you for the responses. Eases my mind a bit.

I thought I was gonna have to put the TPI roller block 350 in there just to get it inspected. I want the cummins.