Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

<<<<<<Need Info on IFS and TTB and Why They Suck>>>>>>

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jan 10, 2001.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ok, I need info on why IFS and Ford TTB aren't the greatest setup for off-road compared to a solid axle. I got some guys telling me that they're IFS(and TTB) is better, but I know it's not yet I dont know why! Thanks

[​IMG]

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: <<<<Need Info on IFS and TTB>>>>>>

With TTB, front tires wear out after 15K, and the axle can't articulate over rocks with either one. Tell them how hard it is to lift the TTB and IFS, and how easy it is for a Blazer with a solid axle.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Oh yeah, I didn't think about lift cost. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Phaeton

Phaeton Registered Member

Tell tham that even though the IFS CV joints are way stronger and last longer than U-joints. They cost an arm and a leg to replace.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Articulation is limited. Cost of lifting is way more. You can't lift IFS more than 6 inches where as you can buy 12+ inch springs for a solid axle. They are no where as strong as solid axles can be.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. lukers

lukers Registered Member

What does TTB stand for?
    Luke

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Can't remember...something like "twin..xxxx...xxx" Anyway, they are notorious for handling problems after being lifted. The design is basically a solid front axle that has a joint about in the middle. This causes the tires to get really weird cast/camber/etc. angles when it's lifted. IFS can be awsome if it's designed with the lift in mind and uses springs and not torsion bars. You run into similar problems when lifting IFS as you do when lifting short wheel base vehicles to extreme heights. think of the front diff in an IFS as the transfer case in a short wheelbase veh. You start getting extreme angles on your u-joints (CV joints) which is bad. I don't think they make any lockers for the 1 ton IFSs either, and very few lockers for the 1/2 ton IFSs. In my opinion, TTB is old technology that never really worked well anyway. IFS is good, recent technology that is difficult to push beyond it's design specs. Solid axles are good, old technology that can be easily and well adapted to new applications...ie tall lifts.

[​IMG]

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

TTB : Twin Traction Beam

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I know this is the least technical reason you will ever hear, but....

Tell them to look into any 4wd magazine at the lift kits. The IFS kits have about 10x as many pieces as the leaf spring (straight axle) kits. They are some pretty small pieces too!

That says complicated to me. And the more parts you have/change, the more can break.

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Watch an IFS 4x4 truck that has been lifted and has 33" or so tires on it drive down the road...when it hits a bump the front tires are jiggling all over the place, moving in planes that they were not intended to move!!! Its actually funny to watch, they look so damned weak-a*sed that its hilarious!!! Also, watch and old Ford TTB Bronco or truck drive down the road and watch when the suspension cycles like on a bump the tire move in arcs that look like the front tires are gonna fold under the truck and roll the truck!! Also really funny to watch!!!

ken

11. Josh

Josh Registered Member

They also suck because the more the suspension compresses the lower the diff gets. (better have skid plates)

Josh

12. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

The Twin Traction Beam was loosely based on the 2wd Twin-I beam which sucked,too. They both produced wide changes in track width while cycling thru their travel..and were infamous for crappy steering feel and eating tires. Lift one even as little as 4 inches and you've just bought major league steering correction problems. Even the late 70's STRAIGHT axle-coil spring-radius arm susp. took degree bushings and steering tricks to lift right. Ford just ran 1980 technology for 20 years to make profits.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I know a guy with a Bronco II (TTB front end) with 38's. Not sure of the exact lift. The thing is awesome off road, and he really pummels on the axles with his right foot.
    I haven't driven it, but I've been in it (passenger) off road and it rocks. But a solid axle is still a better design without question.
    -- Mike