Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on my Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5 Siverado, Apr 15, 2007.

1. K5 Siverado

K5 Siverado Registered Member

How do I find out which tranny and rear ends are in my blazer? Also would the 350 in it be considered gen I block? 87 K5 silverado Blazer TBI

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

87 all stock would be a gen I block with a one pice rear main seal, 700R4 trans, and 10 bolt axles front and rear. If you still have the RPO sticker in the glove box (white sticker witha bunch of info about your trucks options), G80 = limited slip rear axle, GT4 = 3.73 gears

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

And before you ask.. a 208 t-case. :thumb:

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

yep... forgot to throw that in there

5. K5 Siverado

Thanks guys so 10 bolt front and rear so if I wanted gears for the front it would be the same as 10 bolt in the rear? Also I was told with 4:11 in the rear I would want to put 4:10 in the front because I want the front to pull a little more but I always thought you wanted them same?

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

DONOT missmatch gears...more than i belive its 3% (someone wanna chime in?)

but 4.10s adn 4.11s are close enough to where it wont matter, whereas 4.10s and 4.56s would creat a problem.

7. K5 Siverado

Right now it has 4 11s in the rear and I think it still has the 3 73 in the front. I know if I put it in 4 wheel it will like black tread marks on the pavement and in icy roads it will throw you in the ditch but I didnt think it would even move with that big of a gear differnce

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It will move on slippery surfaces... but will bind up once it gets onto a grippy surface. Don't run it that way, wait until they match. Like mentioned, 4.10 & 4.11 are no problem.

9. K5 Siverado

it putting in ring and pinion very hard I have never done one people told me to take it to the shop and have it done but I was told the same when I rebuilt a C6 and I had no problems out of that so I think I can do it if I buy the right tools. Any advice on that ?

10. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i personally have kinda half ass did my gears when i redid my pinion...i feel the hardest part is setting the pinion depth...but thats just a trial and error thing..the backlash you need a micrometer for. but everthging ive messed with was just pullin the carrier out and putting it back in so i aint had to mess with that.

if you do decide to do it. just take your time....have patience adn take loots of pics