Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Info On Propane Cylinders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, May 4, 2005.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

We just picked up two propane cylinders 14 ft. long , about 3 1/2 ft. in diameter (huge and heavy lol)
    I need to know how much pressure these cylinders can hold safely to be used as air tank reservoirs. (don't ask lol )

So , does anyone know the top pressure limit on a propane cyl.?

2. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

those should safely hold any liquified gas. they will not do for compressed air at which the pressure gets to 3200 psi

3. big jimmy 91

Why is that??

4. big jimmy 91

Well to answer my own question...

I just got through to a large dealer and they infomed me that any propane tank will safely hold with a max of 250 PSI. , then pressure blow offs will trip.

BTW this is on Canadian rated cylinders , US ones may be different with their specs.

Have a good one....

5. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

they have propane tank to air tank conversion kits. Which is basically a fitting for the top of the tank.

Any air you put in their will be never exceed the pressure of a gas in a liquid state.

Basically, you can fill it up till your air compressor dies.

6. big jimmy 91

That's what we are going to do , 175 PSI. , tons of air stored in these 1000 gallon tanks

Now where is my sand blaster :thinking:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Whoooshhh!

Sounds like someone is building a "Pumpkin Chucker!" :thinking: --your not going to propel any dead chickens thru airplane windsheilds are you?? :shame: :haha: :haha: :rotfl:

Be aware the propane fumes linger for a long time!--one guy I read about in the paper burned his beard off while using a converted tank on his compressor--he was using an impact wrench to change a tire while smoking a cigar...WHOOOF!..lucky for him it only flashed up for a second or two!-I bet a tank the size of yours would level a house no sweat--my dad worked with LNG and propane most of his life--

They had posters of disasters tacked on his office walls showing the carnage when semi's hauling LNG hit bridges,or other cars--one tanker took off like a missle and leveled a huge building,only a pile of bricks left...another one showed a car a guys wife had put a 20lb gas grill bottle in the trunk that was leaky,and her talights set it off!--only the frame remained,with the floor of the car on it--the rest landed 300 ft away in a parking lot,she was blown to hamburger,and another person in the car it landed on was killed too.
    --they showed a large department store a robber was cornered in,he used a regular propane torch tank to blow a huge hole in the roof by letting it all leak out until it was empty and lit a carboard box with a match--he got killed!,and many shoppers were badly injured.. :frown1:

..I'd pump up your tank and purge it out in a safe place at least a few times before using air tools or sandblasting with it--I see sparks come off metal thats being sandblasted all the time..you dont want your sandblaster to become a flamthrower.... :weld: :doah: --after the residual fumes dissapate it should be safe to use as an air tank--but the sulpher smell will linger a long time after.... your neighbors will hate you!!..:crazy:

8. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Propane odorizer

There is a neutraulizer for the odorant made from oranges (citrus?) that works really well don't remember the name. The wholesalers should be able to get you some. If the gas that was in those tanks was really old you may have some residual liquid propane left in the bottom of the tank. LPG vaporizes at 44 below zero fahrenheit, old and contaminated gas may not vaporize at 50 degrees, almost 100 degrees warmer, so check that tank for liquid residue.
    George

9. big jimmy 91

Thanks for all the info guy's/gal's.

These tanks have been open for a long time , no odour at all.

This is all taking place out in the country so there will be no innocent bystanders to any carnage :haha:

I will resurect this post andlet you know how it all turns out :waytogo:

10. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I forgot to say check for rust inside the tank....you may need some sort of line filter for the bigger chunks if it has any.

George