Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Info on Smittybilt Rollbars...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Feb 21, 2001.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I want to get a rollbar and was wondering if the Smittybilt one will actually hold up during a rollover or if it's just dead weight. I probably wont be doing any end-over-end rolls either. The specs on it are 2" x .120 wall steel tubing, is that good enough??? I assume it hold up better if I used sandwich plates or even fabbed up some type of bracket to connect it to the frame. Also, do any of you have pics of one installed and are there any other brands besides Smittybilt that I could consider. Thanks

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

2. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I bought the smittybilt rollbar and cage kit through 4wheel wholesellers. It's the only complete aftermarket kit I have found. I'm pretty sure it's heavy enough for a 10 MPH roll if you install it properly, although I have not personally tested one out [​IMG]. It comes with washers to bolt it to the tub which need to be replaced with steel plates at a minimum. To do it really right you will need to connect it to the frame with 2" tube, but you will lose all your body flex. I betting if your tub is not rusted it will hold up to your average trail roll without connecting it to the frame. If I was planning any high speed action I would have a cage built.

Worthless advice only $.02

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]