Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on TBI headers (air tubes and part#'s) Hedman?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Need info on TBI headers (air tubes and part#\'s) Hedman?

OK, I have an 87 blazer 350TBI factory everything. It has the tubes on the manifolds for the TBI. I'm wondering what there is to it and if adding a set of hedmen headers with out these will hurt the TBI preformance? (capping the TBI port?)
    IS $130 for the headers about the right price? part#69090
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Jeremiah

2. jjlaughner

Re: Emissions and TBI setup on my 87 - want headers

OK, I think I need the 69501 headers to use my emissions stuff but it retains and the factory y-pipe, meaning its like the factory manifolds except with round tubes. Is this going to add $150 worth of performance? Anyone using these? It also says not to be used with the A.I.R. systems, what is that? Is that the air tubes for the TBI?
    Thanks again, J

3. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

Dude, it sounds like you have the A.I.R. system. I'm not sure what its for, but it makes the price of the headers go up.

paul
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. jjlaughner

Yeah thats what I'm thinking
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Judging by the amount of rust in that picture ( /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ) the Hedman headers wouldn't last very long. They're cheap because they're made from very thin tubing. The road salt in your part of the country would dissolve them pretty quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. jjlaughner

Just bought the truck last month from a guy in the north part of Ohio, it has about 77K miles and I guessing they where all as a plow truck (I got the plow too). I'm having to do new floor panels and cutting the rockers out for rock sliders. I bought it because most of the rusted areas are going to cut out or trimmed up. Already has a new tailgate and support, inner fenders and its fuel inj with the plow for $1800 ;->
    Runs great, but I want to juice it up a little
    J

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, from the rust, when you try to pull the AIR pipes out of the manifolds, they are going to break. I don't think the pipes themselves are very expensive, but the pump and the divert valve are relatively expensive when you have to replace them.

Removing AIR will not decrease the performance of TBI, as its not "monitored" by the ECM. If you want to be sure, follow the hoses and any electrical plugs that are obviously related, pull them. See if you get any codes. You shouldn't.

This will increase emissions when cold, and IF the catalytic converter has an additional pipe or hose running to it, will hurt emissions at cruise. If you have emissions testing, (not visual) removing AIR isn't that good of an idea, unless it already isn't working and you can pass a sniffer without it.

I'm pretty sure headers like Edelbrocks TES have AIR provisions, but not sure if they make ones that fit trucks well. There should be no problem finding headers that have AIR fittings for the trucks, AIR was used on some or most of these trucks since at least 1983, and probably earlier depending on vehicle specs and destination.

If I were you, and dead set on using headers, (nothing wrong with that) I'd unplug any electrical AIR connections to check for codes first, then if none, I'd check to see if any headers come with AIR tubes already welded on. (not just the threaded bungs for the stock AIR "manifold") If they come with AIR tubes, no worries, you can just put AIR back in place, since the stock AIR manifold will be discarded. If they come with bungs, try removing your stock AIR manifold from the exhaust manifold. The first nut you strip out means you'll have to get new AIR manifolds or just forget about running that system.

AIR doesn't hurt performance that you'd notice unless you had dyno or track time.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One correction, I have a 75 with AIR so my guess is either 74 or 75 was the beginning.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: Need info on TBI headers (air tubes and part#\'s) Hedman?

You will also need to make sure to keep the O2 sensor. If the headers do not have a hole for one you will have to drill a hole in the collector and weld a bung on them to thread the 02 sensor in.
    The TBI will not and cant be made to run right with out an 02 sensor

10. jjlaughner

Yeah, edlebrock has a nice setup complete ready to bolt in but they are expensive and I think the Y-pipe goes the passengers side not the drivers side like it is now.
    I'll stick with the manifolds for now till I find something that will work. Thanks, J

11. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I just installed the edelbrock headers, they are a nice kit, came with spacers for the diffrent pumps that attached to the old manifols.
    The y pipe is exactly where it belongs (almost perfect factory matchup) and the oxygen sensor gets relocated to the y pipe, also comes with extension for sensor, and all necessary hardware. I chose not to reconnect the a.i.r. system, and it is running fine so far.

Matt

12. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The y pipe is exactly where it belongs (almost perfect factory matchup)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wondered if the kit I seen was the wrong one? I sent you a PM of a couple questions... J

13. dyeager535

Let us know what the part number is when you find out, might be a good item to be able to search the board for, for a lot of folks. If it's got AIR, O2 bung, and fits the trucks without too much hassle, they'd be a good choice, and I assume must be smog legal?

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Edelbrock TES systems fit like a glove. I've had one on my S-Jimmy for 5 or 6 years now. Everything fit perfectly and didn't require any mods to the factory exhaust system. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mattyblazer

Here are the #'s taken from www.edelbrock.com
    K-5 Blazer full-size 83-86 5.0/5.7L w/carb &amp; A.I.R.
    - - #6863 - #6527
    K-5 Blazer full-size 87-91 5.7L T.B.I. without A.I.R.
    - - #6857 - -
    K-5 Blazer full-size 87-91 5.7L T.B.I. with A.I.R.
    - - #6858 - -
    K-5 Blazer full-size 92-93 5.7L T.B.I. without A.I.R., clamp-on cat. C,G #6666* #6666* #6666* #6666* #6566

Sorry about the layout I copy and pasted the info.
    You can just go to the site and search exhaust systems and applications, I took the smog sh!t off my blazer, but
    they have them either way.

Good Luck Guys,
    Matt

16. mattyblazer

By the way, the edelbrock kit came with every spacer, clamp, bolt, and gasket that you could imagine.
    Very happy with my purchase

Matt

17. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Matt, Were the Edelbrock TES purchased mail order or a local (to you) shop. I've never been able to find anybody in my area that can get them. Thanks

18. dyeager535

I'm just curious how they fit THESE trucks. I know header horror stories with the "it fits" "no it doesn't" argument, but sounds like the Edelbrock TES will fit with no problems. This I like.

19. mattyblazer

Hi,
    I purchased them at a local speed shop, but they have a web site.
    If you call the 800 # on the web site they are usually very helpful www.skspeed.com
    The guys have not lost touch with V8 motors.

Matt

20. mattyblazer

Mine went in smooth, no cutting or bending. the y pipe even came with reducers, started at 3", I keep mine 3" the whole way because it is a single system (Gibson) high flow. But I definately wouldnt push it on anyone here if it wasnt as easy as it was, the blue name thing makes it hard to get answers sometimes with out pissing anyone off.
    I notice you answer posts often and your info is always very well researched.

Matt