Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on tranny cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Dec 11, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont know jack about them all I know is I dont want to burn my 700r4, what is a good one to buy?? How do you hook one up?? best spot to mount one??
    Thanks alot
    -Chris

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is the best place to get them. Get the big one. 24K GVW. That is the one I am running.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3228&prmenbr=361

DO NOT use there push threw the radiator attachments though. They will wear holes in your radiator and cause it to leak. Make a bracket to put it in front of your radiator.

It connects using a hose barb to splice inline with your tranny cooler lines that already run to the radiator. It is very easy. The hard part will be making a bracket, and that isn't terribly difficult.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

What gear ratio do you have in your diffs? If you don't have low gears make sure you don't run overdrive on the street, only on the highway. Even with 4.56 gears and 35" tires I never run OD on the street. Only above 60mph on the freeway. This will also keep your 700R4 happy. Just keep in mind that a 700R4 is an OD tranny and when you are in OD you are pumping less fluid threw the cooling system and your tranny will get hotter faster, especially if you are at low RPM. The 30% OD also overdrives the transmission pump, so if your tranny is getting hot on the freeway slow it down a little an run it in Drive. It will pump more fluid and help the tranny run a little cooler.

Harley

4. 85mudblazin

would the racing one be better sinec it is 28GVW?? or is it just for racing purposes??

5. 85mudblazin

I have 3.08's know but will be going to 5.13's in the next month, right know my tranny only goes into OD at around 65 MPH.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Park it until you get 5.13's or at least forget you have OD. Chances are you already have an external tranny cooler if yours is equipped with the tow package. I was told by my transmission guy that the stock towing package setup is sufficient. I just use the stock setup with my built th700 and have never smelt burnt fluid after driving, puking at the dipstick, or burnt fluid. I don't have a guage though either and don't know what my temps are.

7. Hossbaby50

No, you want the trans cooler one. The racing one does not include the installation hardware and is setup to use race fittings. That would make the install ALOT more of a pain in the ass.

Just make sure when you hook up the cooler to have the transmission fluid run threw the radiator cooler and then threw the external cooler second.

fluid should travel from the trans --> radiator cooler --> external cooler --> trans.

an external fluid filter and a trans temperature gauge are not bad ideas either. The filter adds more filtration to the transmission system along with more fluid capacity. The gauge will tell you how hot the transmission is.

Harley

8. Hossbaby50

Are you sure that tow package trucks came with external (other then the radiator) transmission coolers? My 85 is an HD Trailering Special (it had about every option available) and it did not come from the factory with an external transmission cooler.

It does have an external motor oil cooler, but only has the transmission cooler in the radiator. :dunno:

Harley

9. 85mudblazin

I dont think I have the tow package, so will I be able to tell which line is running form the radiator to the trans pretty easy or is there a bunch of them??

10. Hossbaby50

There are 2 metal lines that run from the transmission to the radiator. The will connect on the passenger side of the radiator. One is a sending line and the other is the return line. The directions will tell you exactly which line is which. (I believe the bottom line is the sending the the top is the return)

If you run 3.08 gears with 35" tires I would NEVER use OD at all. The RPM is to low in OD unless you are doing 85+mph (which you shouldn't be). 85mph is 1800RPM and that is the lowest RPM I would even consider running a 700R4 in OD at.

Harley

11. 85mudblazin

thats weird because when in OD at about 65 it is turning 1800 RPMs.

12. Hossbaby50

Well one of two things is going on then. Either you don't really have 3.08 gears or your torque converter is not locking up. I would guess the later. Not having the TC locked up without an external trans cooler is bad news. Don't do it. It means your torque converter is slipping and that you are building excess heat up in the tranny. That coupled with the 4th gear overdriving the transmission pump and no external cooler means you are probably on the short road to DOOM if you do that alot.

When my tranny shop built my last tranny they asked me my tire size (35") and they asked me my gear ratio (4.56) and they said if I would have been running less gear ratio they would not have offered me a there warranty on the tranny. It is just a ticket for disaster running large tires on a 700R4 with bad gearing.

Harley

13. 85mudblazin

so when I go to 5.13's will my tranny start acting normally??

14. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might also look on ebay for the 40,000 gvw cooler. It's a high quality stacked plate design and comes with all the fittings and mounting hardware. I picked one up and can't believe how well it works. It's more expensive than the B&M but I wanted the extra cooling capacity since I don't have a cooler inside my radiator. I'm running an external filter and gauge too. The cooler came with a cooler bypass thermostat that allows the transmission to come up to operating temp. I tried installing the cooler without the bypass and couldn't even get the trans temp gauge to move, regardless of how hard I pushed the truck. I put the bypass in and the trans temp gauge will go to 105 degrees but no further (almost makes the guage seem like a waste of space...).

15. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

A nice little in-line filter you can use on your return line, by splicing it in at a soft line section, is a magnefine. I run one on my superduty.

16. rjfguitar

If the damage was minimal. If severe damage has taken place then nothing will help it but a rebuild. I can guarantee that you cut a certain amount of time off it's life if it has spent time on OD with no lockup combined with your tire and gear combo.

17. rjfguitar

Pretty sure. Mine is factory. Every K5 that I cared to notice had an external cooler that looks identical to mine.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Which way to plumb this is sort of like the manual trans vs. Auto trans debate. Pick the design you think will work the best for your situation and go with it.

I plumb them just the opposite: trans-> Aux Cooler-> radiator-> trans.

My reasoning is this: I want the trans to warm up enough to boil the condensation out of the fluid. By going first thru the aux cooler (mine is an 11"x11" stacked plate) I know I've cooled the fluid. Then by going thru the radiator I know the fluid will get warm enough to boil out any water. I know this works the trans fluid harder than your plumbing does. Trans fluid is a consumable in my book.

Some caveats:
    Were I only going to drive the Sub in hot weather I would do away with the radiator cooler completely.
    Were I overly anal I'd put a t-stat in the cooler return line to bypass the radiator if the return temp was hot enough to boil out any water.
    I don't use a radiator t-stat rated for more than 180*

Pic of my cooler installed: http://www.dock.net/ntsqd/support/Subs Trans Cooler.JPG
    Don't be afraid of AN fittings. Earl's sell a line of fittings called "Auto-Mate" that are the same as "Push-Lok" hose ends. These ends push into normal trans cooler rubber hose and do not need a hose clamp. I usually put a tywrap btwn the barbs, but that's a 'belt and suspenders' approach.

19. Hossbaby50

I plumb mine this way because in the AZ heat it will not keep the fluid cool enough for my tastes. I want the tranny fluid to be as cool as possible for the AZ heat and the super slow speed wheeling that we do. When I move back to Colorado I will probably plumb them the other way depending on how hot the fluid reads on the gauge.

Harley

20. 85mudblazin

I am just worried my tranny is on the way to toast:(