Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need info on variations in np208 for tranny swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kitn0, Aug 15, 2001.

1. kitn0

kitn0 Newbie

ok, i tried fluid and filter change in my 700r4, still no motion at all, in any gear, even if i rev it, the shifter and the tv cable move freely and correctly.

i am not going to mess with this early OD anymore. i like th400's (and big block buicks) and want a more stout piece of gear. sounds like swap time.

but, i hear that the 208 when used behind the th400 has a different input shaft. i have a 208 from behind a jeep with TF727.

what parts are required to get either one of my current np208 tcases to bolt up to a generic th400 (output shaft, extension housing, etc), and where can i get these parts?

many thanks for your replys, esp. if you have dont this swap and are willing to give your experiences...

allan noah

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I did this swap. You have to get a different tail shaft. You have to buy an adapter kit for the swap, try Transadapters. You will need to find a dipstick and tube for a th400. You will have to modify your crossmember or the front drive shaft will contact it with alot of flex. I had a custom rear shaft made for mine at the same time cause my old one was cracked, so dont know if old one would have fit or not. Dont have to mess with linkage but your indicator will give wrong indication. I got a new one from a scrap yard off of a '77(I think) Chevy pick up. Just had to shave a small piece of it off to make it fit.

3. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I did this swap. You have to get a different tail shaft. You have to buy an adapter kit for the swap, try Transadapters. You will need to find a dipstick and tube for a th400. You will have to modify your crossmember or the front drive shaft will contact it with alot of flex. I had a custom rear shaft made for mine at the same time cause my old one was cracked, so dont know if old one would have fit or not. Dont have to mess with linkage but your indicator will give wrong indication. I got a new one from a scrap yard off of a '77(I think) Chevy pick up. Just had to shave a small piece of it off to make it fit.
    Thats it I think. Oh yea, I hope you have some extra gas money too, lol.

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Why did it post twice?