Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need info on vehicle speed sensor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Canadianbuilder, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

I am planning on swapping a th400 tranny and 205 t-case into a 1988 extended cab chevy as part of a straight front axle conversion.My question is what speed sensor can I use to send the proper signal to the ecm and the electric speedo?I have looked at JTR and a few other sites but I am not sure how many pulses per mile the stock vss puts out?Is it 2000 or 4000?I am hoping to be able to use the unit jtr sells that puts out 2000 ppm and has a 2 wire pigtail.Will I be able to just cut the vss plug off my wiring harness and connect the 2 wires from the jtr unit to the factory harness?Thanks in advance for any info.

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Vss

Try the Dakota Digital website, they make an adjustable VSS that's programmable just for situations like yours, and made to convert the mechanical signal from the t-case to an electric one the pcm can work with.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't help with the new body style stuff, but R/V that year was 40 pulse per output shaft revolution to the DRAC, 2000PPM to the ECM and Speedo.

If you search on google eventually you will find something like "BCC find" that will tell you what ECM was used in your truck, then you can cross that number to figure out what pulse your ECM needs, although the speedo could take something different as well.

I believe everything that used a VSS (no speedo cable) on the case in the trucks was 40 pulse, but I could be mistaken.