need info. suspension lift 91jimmy full size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Feb 24, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Feb 21, 2004
    I picked up 91 jimmy 2 mo.ago
    5.7l,,corperate,transfer case?
    Could anyone give me info about suspension lifts(shackle flip)etc.
    This is my 1st.4X4 and I have only surfed the net for info.
    I plan to change stock tire(235 75 15)size up to 33X12.5X15
    Any info. wuold be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="white"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
  2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Aug 29, 2002
    You can either do a 2 1/2" or 4" lift to get some room for those 33's. For the front Id go Tough Country EZ Rides For the rear you have two options: 1)Match the front with TC EZ Rides 2) ORD shackle flip - this comes in either 2.5 or 4 inch variations. The shackle flip will be cheaper and be softer than the new spring pack as it uses the stock springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh you can get everything you need from Offroad Design (ORD) Check out their forum here. Stephen will be glad to help you out /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
  3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mar 30, 2002
    Contact the people at ORD and ask them to put together a complete 4" lift kit for you using thier 4" Shackle flip for the rear. 4" lift should be good for 33's.
  4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Aug 28, 2002
    For that tire size, you'll most likely want a 4" lift kit. That will give the suspension room to flex without putting a tire into the fender. HOWEVER, a 2.5" kit will work too - although (at least for Rough Country) the 2.5" is more expensive than the 4" because not that many people use it. Also, you can fit a 33" tire on your stock truck. Keep the stock wheels, and run a 33x10.5 and you'll be golden. I've heard the 33x12.5 will fit too, but you're asking for crinkled fenders/cut tires if you flex it offroad.

Your best option here is lift springs. They are just higher-arched leaf springs that replace your factory, negative-arch springs.

You can also install longer shackles that connect the rear of the front leaf spring to the frame, but there are a number of problems with this (such as; unsafe, only get 1/2 the amount of lift as the length increase, bad pinion angles, etc).

Another option is the ORD zero-rate (link ). You could use this in the front or the rear, and you'll get 1" of lift.

There are several options here. The cheapest being the home-made shackle flip ( link ).

After that is probably going with lift blocks (these are blocks - that you generally get in a "basic" lift kit) that sandwich in between the leaf springs and axle. They're okay, but I personally don't like them.

As an "upgrade" to a lift kit, you can opt for replacement rear springs. This is what I did, and like the front, they replace your existing springs and lift the rear the indicated amount.

AK-57: link

ORD Shackle flip: link

Do yourself a favor, and do things right from the beginning. If you're ordering a 4" kit, get the raised steering arm, longer shocks, and longer front brakelines (ideally).

As for brands. The best out there are Tuff Country and BDS. You can buy Tuff Country systems through link. I don't know if BDS has any online retailers may have to go to a dealer (4x4 shop in your area).
    The cheapest system is Rough Country ( link ). But, you get what you pay'll have a much stiffer ride/less flex than with the two brands listed above.

I hope that helped. If you have any more specific questions, just go ahead and ask. There is a wealth of knowledge on CK5, and I'd find it very unlikely that someone here couldn't answer any question you may have.