Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by showmeburb86, Oct 7, 2006.

1. showmeburb86

showmeburb86 Registered Member

Just inherited an 86 1/2 ton 4x4 from work. It drives fine. How do I find out about what kind of tranny, transfer, axles, etc. I have? Any help would be great.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5 first of all.

Secondly feel free to ask anyone that uses an abbreviation you don't understand. Everybody here is quite friendly and willing to help.

10 bolt is a 1/2 ton rear differential. 6 lug, generally hated for it ability to spontaneously explode. :D

14SF, is a 3/4 ton rear diff. The SF stands for "Semi-Floating" which means the rear axle shaft helps support the weight of the truck as well as supplys the turning motion to the tires. Not a bad diff, and can be had in 6 lug or 8 lug.

14FF, is the one most guys upgrade to. It's a one ton diff and the FF stands for "Full floating". This means the axle does not support any of the trucks weight, it's only job is to turn the tires. Much stronger than a semi-floater.

if you see any other abbreviations that have you guessing just post up.

Rene

3. showmeburb86

Thanks. That helps a lot. Do people just go buy a 3/4 ton axle, etc and put it in? BTY: I was looking at your swap right before I posted! I will be watching--good luck!

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am thinking u edited your original question, if stock u would have 10 bolts frt & rear, is the tranny auto or stick? t-case cast or aluminium?

the second question is yes people buy 3/4 ton & 1 ton axles to swap into thier 1/2 tons every day

5. showmeburb86

Yeah, I did edit cause thought it might be too stupid to ask. But replies are encouraging. We are picking up the burb tomorrow so will know about t case. Which is better? Auto. 350. 85k original. Thanks for the help.

Regarding the axle swap do you do front and back I assume? Do driveshafts need to be changed then as well?

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sometimes u get teased for "dumb" questions but is all in good fun, if u don't know u just don't know. the search is a useful feature, but u can't always find the answers to the question u have

as far as which tranny is better that is a whole nother can of worms. it is a personal preference, althoughsome are stronger than others.

yes people usually swap both front & rear axles. if u go 3/4 ton the front is the same & all that is needed for it is to convert it to 8 lug. needing to swap the driveshafts depends on lifting it & weather or not u mind running a jump joint (conversion u-joint)

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

if its a half ton, it has 10 bolts front and rear in 86, that is, saying the running gear is stock, it should be a 700r4 and a 208 as well

you can swap in a 14bolt full floater and a 10 bolt from a 3/4 ton if you want a heavier rear axle, if you want heavier front and rears you would want to go one ton

14 bolt full floaters can be had in 3/4 OR 1 ton trucks, the only difference between a 3/4 and one ton 14bff is the shock mounts, 3/4 ton will have them on opposite sides and 1 ton will be shocks mounted on the same side...

14bsf did not show up until later years.... you inherited which i assume means you got it for free, so you have a great base for a build because you wont feel bad about hacking on your well spent money...

8. showmeburb86

Thank you. Any places on web that shows how to do the swaps?
    When you say that we can swap in a 14bjj or a 10b is that refering to the whole assembly or just the diff?
    Thanks and keep the info coming!

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

do a search here on ck5, you will find anything you need to know to do the swap, its pretty basic as far as just jacking up the truck and putting it on jackstands, unbolting everything from the old axles, then unbolting the axles from the springs, and then reverse the process with a few extra steps, its pretty straightforward