Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Information On brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dansblazer, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

Hello, I have a restoration project on its way, coming nicely and expensive. anyway I would like to now where could I get information on Up-grading my brakes. I need more stopping power, (I follow to close). The blazer will have 35's tire and 4 in of lift. 10 Bolt Corp in front and just installed a 14 Bolt SF in rear, it has drums. I will be running all new Stainless Steel lines and just purchased a new booster, however I am lost and tired of purchasing Stuff that the blazer will not benefit from.

Information and contacts will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Dan

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

disc break rear kit will help big time.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's a Blazer and now has the 14bSF drums you should be fine with 35" tires.
    As long as your power brakes work properly.
    The disc brakes will be too much and you will need a proportionning valve to keep them from locking up.
    You will hear a lot about the stopping power of disc brakes but you don't benifit in your case. The 3/4 ton brakes will be perfect for you.
    Get better pads and shoes, that would make a big difference though.

4. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

thanks for your input, I will take your sugestion and keep things they way they are and try the drums and see if they work. The boster has been replaced and I will defenetly get quality shoes for the rear however Have you herd or tried Front calipers with double pistons. ......

Again Thanks
    Dan

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you need brakes bigger than the stock 1/2 ton stuff on a Blazer with 35s, then you need to take a look at your brake system because it isn't working right. The easiest way to get better brakes on a Blazer is just to convert to 3/4 ton parts. You get bigger drums in the rear and larger rotors in front. Your rear SF14 drums will improve the stopping power noticeably over smaller 1/2ton drums and as long as you use decent quality pads in the front and have the system properly bled and adjusted, you shouldn't have any problems.

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Hydraboost is another option. I use hydraboost on my current blazer and all my past builds. You can normally get the whole setup in the yard for around 125. They are on diesel blazers and trucks and 1 ton trucks.