Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need input before buying burb

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BranndonC, Jan 25, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i made this post in the garage, but figured some people who post here might be able to help me better
    I want to buy this 1990 1500 burb all stock down to the tires but it has the tow package and its been very well maintained. I dont know what its geared to, but what ever it is, i could re gear if i had to, but will the 350 1/2 ton burb pull my k5 on a 10k trailer OK. if not what problems will i have?

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Chances are if it's the tow package it will have the 3.73's or 4.10's which will help a lot.
    The TBI 350 really doesn't put out enough power (in stock form) to make a good choice for towing in a Burb, but I get by with mine most of the time. I've hauled another Burb behind mine before with few problems, mostly just slow up the hills.
    At that price I'd go for it.
    The brakes are the biggest concern when towing like that, and the half ton units really aren't cut out for the job in my opinion. But then again you could swap in a 14FF with 1 ton brakes, do an 8 lug conversion in the front and you'd be set nicely for the total investment.

All in all I'd jump on that deal!

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thanks for both replys. I just called the owner back and looks like i'll be picking it up in an hour /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif guess i'll continue my tradition of sleeping in the truck when i get it home /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

if i had to buy my burb over id spend the extra $$ and get a 3/4 ton truck. with the mods ive made so far i mine as well have just got a 3/4 truck.