Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need input from people that have ft lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Jun 30, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Im looking for a ft locker for my 8 lug 10 bolt. I have a Detroit in the rear 14 bolt. I was thinking about a lockrite
    or a powertrax due to them being approx $250.00

So the question is What are you running do you like it?
    any problems snapping axle shafts??
    Any input you can give on this would realy help.

Thanks

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i had a lunchbox locker in the front of my old 1/2ton setup. i loved it. crawled over anything and could easily steer by bumping the throttle. only thing i ever broke was the stub and it's u-joint. they were prob on the way out anyways.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am happy with my lock-rite, when accelerating you can feel some torque steer but for crawling around on the trail I think it is great. By the way, the lock-rite is about $250 but the powertrax is close to $400.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm watching this thread too. I'm tempted to buy a Lock-Right for my front after I see how much I've liked having it in the rear of my Ranger.

5. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I've got a detroit in my d44. Like it so far. I had welded spiders for about a month. Hated that. But the locker is nice. Always have both front tires spinngg. And it turns decent also.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i run a detroit in my 60 frt. i love it. my truck pulls so much harder than it did when it was open.

as far as steering i have no problem in the mud, but on harder surfaces it will not turn for crap. got to get a hydro assist set up.

bottum line annie up for the detroit, u will not be upset.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

some day I am gonna need someone to explain to me how hydro assist will aid locker induced steering difficulties

8. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    some day I am gonna need someone to explain to me how hydro assist will aid locker induced steering difficulties

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it's magic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the thing hydro does for ya when ur locker says "i dont wanna turn right now" is save your steering box from exploding into an eternally leaky mess of a steering box. I dunno, b4 i had hydro i was always worried if i was fawkin the whole system up when i abused it a lil... with hydro the system just seems to have an easier time of it thanks to the hydro assist. In any case, my turning radius with the detroit up front in my d60 depends entirely on which direction i am turning (dont ask)... if I wanna turn right, NO PROBLEM i can turn as far as I want... if its to the left, it requires a lil more work. If anyone can explain why, and therefore fix my "my steering turns right by itself" problem, I'll be ur best friend. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In any event, responses to hijacking-posts aside, i have a detroit up front and LOVE it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Deee-troit in the front and my girlfriend can turn the tires on the rocks.

[​IMG]

no ARB crap for me. my selnoid is my right foot.

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the only reason i got hydro was so i could steer when i wass stopped on the rocks or trails, before i had hydro, steering with the locker is the same as it is now that i have hydro, of course when im locked in 4wd i dont go over about 8 miles an hour anyway, unless im in the mud, then im usually going straight....

i think Mj is sarcastically saying that Hydro has nothing to do with steering with a locker in the front.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well I constantly see posts stating that if you have hydro assist ram you can steer with a front spool(locker in this case).
    if it works differently then without the ram I was hoping someone would enlighten me as I cannot see it making a difference other then placing the load on a stronger area etc

so yes there is a bit of sarcasm but more prodding others to think a bit as it seems some think the steering wheel wont turn the knuckles with a front spool or locker.
    when it is the lack of tire differential that make them plow straight at full lock.

I have never been fortunate enough to test drive a front locker equiped vehicle.
    when I did my axles, everywhere I went told me it was ILLEGAL UNSAFE and IMMORAL to even put a limited slip up front, things have changed thank god.
    I think the lockers will steer better locked in then my powerlok and one day I will pony up and see.
    meantime I try and read every post on front lockers on every forum.
    web wheelin at its finest.

13. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think for people that actually need 4X4 for normal driving on the road, in snowy areas or for other reasons a front locker is not good. But for running in the dunes and on the trail i think it's great.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i never know my detroit is there so long as Im on the road in 2wd. We dont get snow where I live and even if we did I have chains for all 4 tires... so it'd prolly be ok with a locker up front in 4wd if we did have a freak storm. I swear, I bought chains for my 35s like 3 years ago, it hasnt snowed more than a half an inch (we're talking weak a$$ snow a geo metro could get through) since then. Its like a hex or something for spending lots of $ on chains... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Of the vehicles that I have driven off-road that had a D.L. in them were just fine . There is a difference , but nothing that was not expected . Becareful with the extra traction - axles breakage is sure to come if to much throttle is being used .
    Note : A spool or welded front dif. is very demanding and I would not recomend doing such but a D.L. or equivilant is acceptable in my book . There are trade offs to almost everthing and a little driving finess with a front locker is well worth the hassel in my opinion .
    Just my opinion , Tom

16. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I have the stock corp 10 bolts on my 87 and was thinking about throwing my new posi unit up front with some 410's and adding a detroit to the rear. Then running some 35's....would this combo be trail and street worthy?? Would the 10bolts hold up to the stress of the locker and 35's???
    Hey Zakk...nice rig, is the pic shot at Hollister Hills?

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is all a matter of how you drive and luck as to wether your 10 bolts will hold up or not . They are NOT known for there strength !
    You may want to look at selling your current axles and investing in a stronger set if you want to play with locking diff's. and go off-road .
    The 10 bolt is the smallest rear axle that GM put in our trucks and it does not hold up well with larger tires.
    It is my opinion that the 10 bolts will not hold up to that kind of use - I would not invest time/money and effort into them . JMHO , Tom