Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need input on builidng a dump trailer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Mar 30, 2005.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I am looking into building a dump trailer out of a late 70s - 80s 3/4 ton truck, dont know if its a 14 ff 14 sf or a 12. i chasis does not have a bed but i can get a newer bed fairly cheap. i am needing ideas for the dump mechanism and mounting as well as how much this trailer will acutally be able to haul. also i plan on having it electric over hydraulic and some how make it a cab control dump. thanks, chris

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try a farm unit for the dump setup. or the aftermarket ones thay sell in like northern tool cattalog.

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

fogot to mention the cheaper the better. i have already priced the units you can buy they are around 500-1500, i am watching ebay too. thanks, chris

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Go to the boneyards...

There are usually a few dump bodies or at least the hoists in the junkyards,here I could get one fairly cheap,about 300-500 bucks depending on condition and who removes it...

If you just want something to use around the yard,I have seen a few guys use an old floor jack as the hoist,converted to a hydralic pump rather than pumping it manually,instead of a factory built unit..
    Or make a "^"and weld it to the frame in front of the bed, and use a winch to hoist up the bed with a cable and a pulley..crude,but effective..could be easier than hydraulics,and cheaper--easy to hook a remote power Up/Down switch in the cab.. :thinking:

As for weight,I'd guess a ton or two would be safe,I've had 4000 lbs on my K20 with a 14 bolt SF rear--but I would trust it to do it again,and I drove it only 3 miles --any further would have been a disaster I'm sure!.. :crazy:

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks for the reply, i was also wonder do helper springs help increase weight capacity or are they just so the back end dont sag as much.

6. diesel4me

coil helpers...

I put a pair of those $20 autozone coil helper springs that go between the axle tube and bump stops,they did help a lot--I got 1500lb ones,they do make 2000 lb versions also..I took off the rubber bump stops and bolted a "hat" thing off a mcpherson strut there ,the coils fit into it nicely and cant jump out..worked good on my truck.(I saw one truck that used regular coils off a small car,or Mcpherson struts!)..I had 9 leaves in the springs,the coils gave it some "bounce"--it was like dead axles without them,the springs were so stiff.. :crazy:

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

cool i will have to remember that, anybody got any pics or drawings of how to make the scissor lift for the dump? i was thinking either do that or make it a tilt trailer, i want to be able to unload gravel mulch wood ect easy. thanks, chris

8. diesel4me

Hydraulic is nice,but expensive...

I think you would be better off with a winch to raise it up rather than a hydraulic setup--its expensive for the pump,hoses,valves,and then you have to make or buy the sissors hoist setup,and a cylinder--if your going that route you might as well buy a used dumpbody and all the related stuff from the junkyard-

-I could have a complete setup my brother offered my from his flatbed,all the pump and valves and stuff,but its all rotted out--I'd have to spend hours copying the framework and buy new square tubing,etc..its a lot of bull work for the few times a year I'd actually use it--but a dump bed is nice to have,it saves a lot of labor....

I have thought about making the flatbed I have on my 74 K20 that I'm parting out into a dump bed--rather than go thru all the work of making it hydraulic,I was thinking of just making a "A" frame or a simple rectangle out of some heavy angle iron or channel steel,and bolting it to the frame rails just behind the cab to allow a pulley to be mounted in the center for the winch cable,which would be mounted on the frame rails behind the cab also,not quite under the bed..-

-it could double as a window protector with metal mesh added onto it) you'd have to move the bed back a few inches more than usual to clear the cab,but its no big deal---only other thing you need to do is "hinge" the bed at the rear using pillow block bearings or just crude 1/2 plate ones like most dump trucks use...and put the bumper (if needed)on the bed rather than the frame so the bed wont hit it when dumping...run your remote switch into the cab,and its a dump truck!--

-I have a few winches around,but also have a hydraulic pump and lever off a jeep snowplow that would work on a hydraulic setup and another old pump/solenoid thing too--I'm not sure I'd use it often enough to justify all the work!--Right now I'd be happy just to have the crane/winch setup on my flatbed on my other truck so I can go scap all the heavy junk I've accumulated while its still 85 bucks a ton!...

I saw one truck set up in a different manner--it had a set of those "trolleys" like they use on I-beams with a hoist-his bed's frame was made of channel iron with the outside rails flat side "in"- a "scraper" was mounted on those trolleys,which rolled on the outside of the bed,--the guy rigged it up to a winch--it was like a second "back wall" to the bed,only it moved!--the winch pulled the "scraper" towards the rear of the truck,pushing the contents of the bed out the rear!.

It looked a bit complicated to build but it was free to him,he made it out of scaps he had hanging around..worked slick too,I watched him empty a ton of scrap axles and motors out of his truck with it--he said some stuff gets caught under the scraper sometimes,and its a PITA to get it out...didnt think he'd build another one that way..it was interesting to see though-

-I see lots of home brew cranes too at the scrapyard--one was powered by a briggs and stratton hooked to worm winch!--but most have an "armstrong" winch or an electric one,and are made from pipe,axle tubes,even driveshafts off big trucks!--lots of inginuety in the scrap world...

Hey! I just noticed this is the LOUNGE!--maybe this post belongs in the garage??? :blush: oops... :crazy:

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

can you draw me a picture or better explaine the winch set up. thanks, chris

10. diesel4me

Sorry--dont know how!

I cant draw anything on the computer!--If I could figure out how to scan a photo and post it on here I would..but I'm too computer illiterate!!

I know its not easy to visualize,but basically all you need is something heavy enough to handle the weight of the bed and its load,like angle or channel iron bolted to the frame of the truck right behind the cab, in a "A" frame or a rectangle shape-,sticking up higher that the roof,with a pulley mounted in the center to loop the winch cable over and back down to the front of the dump bed--the winch gets anchored to the frame of the truck directly behind the cab..it works slick,a bit crude,but effective-

-I see lots of dump trailers people haul dirt and quads and garden tractors set up that way to tilt the bed down and dump it or to drive the tractor in...using a small boat trailer type winch--you'll need a fairly good sized winch to dump a bed of gravel ,say at least a 3500 lb one..you can add a snatch block pulley to increase the weight capacity of the winch if needed...

We had a 1927 Chevy 1 ton dump truck at the boneyard I worked at!--it was a cemetary dept. truck from a nearby town--it had a HAND CRANKED dump bed that still worked when we tried it!--we put a couple of junk motors on it with the forkloader,and we were able to crank it up and dump them out(was difficult,but easier than I expected!)--sadly,the guy cut it up for scrap just before the yard closed--I was thinking of snaggin it myself and putting a starter motor on it to power it--too late now... :frown1:

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

alight i see now, not a bad idea but i think i want something cleaner looking, especially since its gonna be just a bed on a trailer it will look wierd. i was trying to figure out a way to use the winch with it running under the bed but havent came up with anything, anyone got any up close pics of a tilt trailer, i think this might be the route i go. thanks, chris

12. diesel4me

Go "Googling"

I was searching on "google" --and saw this--might be another alternative,but its got no price listed--similar steel ones go for about 1500 bucks,but the are hydraulic powered--check out www.dumppro.com

If the link dont work type Dump Body Hoists on google and that company will show up on the list... :crazy:

13. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks

hey cool that wouldnt be to hard to build. i like the winch set up i was actually thinking of something like but didnt know if it would work. now i need to find a cheap 4500lb winch and figure out how to make the frame!! thanks alot, chris

14. diesel4me

old "Popular Mechanics" books...

I found an old "Popular Mechanics" encyclopedia set my dad had from the 50's that has a dump trailer plans in it-( you might find them at your library!)-all they did was use 2 hydraulic cylinders,one on each side--one end anchored to the frame,the other end pinned to a small "A" frame built onto the bedside of the trailer just in front of the wheels..pretty simple!-they used a hand pump,but a power version would work even better..wish I knew how to post the picture here,its probably what you have in mind to build....

That book also shows how to make a hydraulic tailgate,and a jeep snowplow too,but does not go into great detail unfortunately--I would not mind having a power liftgate on my truck!...

I know of one landscaper near me who simply bought one of those "E-Z Dumper" things and just bolted it on his truck after he SCRAPPED the bed,because it was so rotted!--instant dump truck,for 1500 bucks,brand new.. :crazy:

15. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea i am kinda of in a jam now, i dont really know which one will be the cheaper route to go, i am takeing a picture of the dump pro to work sometime and see if anyone out there can help me come up with similar cheap design.