Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need input on my 88 crewcab... Keep the 454 or...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Nov 13, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have a 88 crewcab 4x4 with a 454, 465,205. Well lets just say my milage really sucks, like around 5 miles a gallon. Granted it probably needs a good tune up and a few other little things done to bring it up a little, but even then if I'm lucky I'm only looking at 8-10. So I'm looking for some input, should I rebuild the current motor specifically for towing and mileage (yeah right..towing and mileage). Should I yank it all out and replace it itwith a 5.9 cummins and attached manual and transfer case ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Which my brother already has this configuration in his so it should be relatively easy to copy. Or just say the hell with it and buy a late model extended or crewcab with a diesel ?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You should post pictures of your brothers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'd love to build a 12V cummins with n4500 and all for a tow rig/dd.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think the cummins sounds super sweet!

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

that or just a late model 6.2 with the turbo.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

if you decide to get rid of that motor let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

sell it and buy a late model deisel

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The only problem with selling it and buying a late model is the big payment as this one is payed for. And My crewcab is totally rust free with a new 4 inch lift and 33's. So its not like its a total piece of junk. Keep the suggestions coming. And as far as selling this motor I'll keep ya in mind.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Ya that crewcab is a sweet piece of machinery! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I vote 12V, intercooled Cummins. YOu could go non intercolled, but if your gonna do it, do it right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That will def. help with the mileage and you still have a crap-ton of power on tap for hauling stuff

Chris

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd go the cummins route. It should fit better in that SFA truck than it does in this IFS truck I'm working on /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

also insurance on an 88 K30 will be cheaper than a newer diesel.

12. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The Cummins route is the way I'm leaning. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Either way, I'd go diesel. It may be cheaper to build it, but if you compare how much you would have invested when it was all said and done with the price of a nice used Duramax it may not be all that much cheaper.

14. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Brent your crew cab looked in great shape. Not to many in that condition. A Cummings w/mechanical pump would be sweet. I work at GM and these guys at work spend $42-52k on diesels that equals to $600-700 a month for six freaking years. That's a lot of Badlands trips. -Mark

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree, that crewcab is sweet. If the cummins can be done easily and without becoming a hack job, I'd go for it.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cummins turbo desiel...555ft/lbs at 1400 rpm... stock. any questions? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I dunno about towing and stuff, but for wheelin those numbers fawkin rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

17. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but if your gonna do it, do it right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

i say go for the cummins. but don't get the wheenie 5.9 do it right and get the Cummins 6CTAA 8.3 L Turbo Diesel it's not that much bigger but the power numbers are unbelievable they're stock 300 horse and 1100+ ft. lbs of torque plus you can upgrade from there. you can find one for cheaper than the 5.9's i saw an engine and tranny for 1400 locally. just my $.02

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    cummins turbo desiel...555ft/lbs at 1400 rpm... stock. any questions? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I dunno about towing and stuff, but for wheelin those numbers fawkin rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, no wheelin this truck. It's REALLY nice and its as long as a bus. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

You could do what I just did, sell it and buy a 1999 6.5TD

20. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I saw a 91 3+3 at Indy that had a Cummins with an NV4500 swapped in, it fit really nice. That couldn't have been your brother could it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm 100% pro big block but you can't argue with the fact the Cummins is a better choice for towing, etc.