Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need input on new tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Apr 29, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Now that I've finally lifted the lowrider, it's time to start thinking about new tires; here's what's cooking:

Front: 3" TuffCountry springs, ORD extended shackles
    Rear: ORD 2.5" shackle flip

The rear end is a Dana 60 (I guess that makes it a 5/8 ton truck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif); I will put a degreed ZeroRate in after I determine what the angles are; trigonometry sez 5° off, but I'd rather measure.

Gearing is 4.56, will change gears and outers to 8-lug in front and move the current 10-bolt rear ARB to the front.
    Main use of the truck is on dry, sandy, and rocky trails, Moab, Death Valley, etc. That also means good road manners and not too much noise, since all the places I'd like to use the truck at are unfortunately more than 1000 miles away /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Where I would need some input is regarding tires, here's my options:

1. Get 15x8 rims w/2.5" backspacing, keep the 33x10.5 15 BFG ATs that I have now, they still have plenty of tread. Not sure if I want the tires to stick out in front, 8-lug hardware is going to make the axle 1 inch wider, right now with 4" backspacing everything's flush with the body.

2. Get 16 inch rims, something like 16x8, 4.5" backspacing. Tire choices:

2.a. Goodyear MT/R, preferably in 35" (315/75x16 or so)
    2.b. ProComp XTerrain ditto in size
    2.c. Swamper SSR 35x10.5x16
    2.d. Michelin XZL 9.00R16 (diameter 36, skinny tire, would need 16X6.5 rim)

I'm sure the skinny SSRs would fit with very little fender trimming, but searching here a lot of people seem to complain about chunking. Both the MT/R and the XT would require more trimming due to their width, but I've hears very good things about the Goodyears (and Dr. Watson suggested I look into these). Maybe I ought to go with 33s (307/70x16), but since I HAVE 33s, I'll run into a justification issue with my loved one /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. 35s also would go better with the gearing for regular driving. I'm intrigued by the Michelins, no idea how they are on rocks; they're probably the biggest tire I could fit in the wheelwells, not sure about hitting springs/steering, though. Skinny doesn't bother me at all (I had good experience with the skinny BFGs, and I like the kind of retro look). Not quite sure where to get XZL; they are sure popular in Europe with the guys that race in the North African desert. Anybody seem the Michelins around? So, any opinion is welcome, or if I've overlooked something, thanks for the input, michael

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go with a 35" tire. I just put a set of 35's (BFG MT's)(34" true height) on my truck. 2.5-3" total lift. They looks sweet, and the fit pretty well. I cut my front fenders back so they are now equal with the inner fenderwell at the bottom. I flexed it the other day, and they didn't rub. I think they will rub some on turning, but they shouldn't rub to much.

Personally I would go with the MTR or the BFG MT KM. They are both a good offroad tire with radial construction. They should give some decent mileage onroad and some decent traction offroad.

3. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree with hossbaby on that one ,35" MT/r's or BFG MTkm's for sure !! good street manners , the 37" ssr's I have chuncked themselves up pretty badly and there street manners are HORRIBLE compared to the other two mentioned!!! Good luck with whatever you choose!!.............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks for the replies. So I think SSRs are out; and getting the Michelins is probably too much hassle and $$.
    4WPW has a tire/wheel package that I'm looking at right now, 4 315/75x16 MT/Rs on 16x8 rockcrawlers w/ 4" backspacing, shipped for ~$1k.

Anybody have comments on the ProComp XTerrains vs. Goodyear MT/Rs?